Chatham -all Nighter on the beach - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 10:38 PM
President of CAC

Chatham -all Nighter on the beach

Anyone intrested is doing an all nighter on the ocean side of South beach?????????Beach Fishing... forget the tides... start at about 9 to dawn?..... I am not picking a dated but am ready for tomorrow.... Hawkeye? Penguin? Jimmy? Juro?.. where are you?{ Local guys starting at 2 am coming in telling me that big fish are coming into the surf... These are commercial beach guys...yes they exist and are releasing 34 inchers... not big enough for these guys who are spin and bait fishing.... I meet some of them coming off the beach going home when I get there at 5 am.... I have to take a lot of frendly guff from them but have known then for years and they are credidible and friends )

Last edited by striblue; 07-31-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 11:57 PM

If it is the night from 07-25 to the morning of 07 26, I'm in!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:01 AM
President of CAC

Pete.... help me here... you mean August right?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:25 AM
Middle Aged Member

Sounds interesting John. High tides around 3:00 am tommorow morning so I'm going to shoot for as early as I can. Given my track record this year I'll be lucky to make it by sunrise.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:40 AM
President of CAC

Fred... do you want to do it Today..or tonight? weather permitting?... That is Saturday... we can always give it a try by starting out at 2 am instead... and work the drop all night...I will call you.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Secret:Time on the water

John,
By all means bring the flyrod with you, but please bring along a good spin/conv. rod and some eels. After you get spooled several times from the REAL fish you will want to go to the big boy tackle and land one of those monsters that prowl the wash at vampire time:eyecrazy: ! Seriously bring along some eels and big sticks just in case my friend. I have really changed my view of these fish since last week. Was out yesterday with a good friend who has had a run of bad fishing luck lately, took him to the reef where I have been fishing and he got the biggest fish of his life. Later in the morning with the sun high in the sky he went ahead and beat his morning fish with an even bigger fish 44" 33 lbs. These fish were marginally landable on the flyrod from the boat, if we had hooked them from the surf it would have been sayonara baby. Incredible power and strength. I have a friend whos brother lives on the Cape and fishes commercially from the Nauset Beaches, he gets alot of very big fish every year tossing eels from the sand at night. GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know how you guy's make out I would love to hear you really banged em' good!!!

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 08-01-2003, 08:25 AM

We haven't met, but if you want to do an overnighter during the week (any day except Wed. nights) let me know.
-Dan D.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:20 AM
President of CAC

Dan...keep an eye on the Board and we will hook up definitly this week.... Mike... Big fish are easier to land in the surf than from a boat..just my opinion...less water for them to move in...but I have to say my biggest fish on a 9 weight fly rod was a 44 incher taken in the rips a couple years ago at the point at the Chatham light....It weighed only 29 1/2 pounds..There have been bigger ones taken on a fly rod...But you make sense to bring a spinning rod...I need to travel light though...but I think a light weight spinner would be smart.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Middle Aged Member

John -
Hmm, 2:00 am! Ain't in the mood to commit yet, have to pshyc myself up. Have to see about the weather. Right now they're talkin am thunder (excuses excuses). I should be down by about 7:00pm tonight. Give me a call.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Flats Rat

Not this week-end but I have this on my to-do list sometime this season. I had planned on an all nighter under the June full moon but it didn't materialize - heavy overcast and way too much action during the daytime
Old 08-01-2003, 12:58 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
No traffic and very VERY...

DARK!!!

...Night of the Trogladytes (with sillysticks)!

I used to do some of my best work at O'darkthirty...
Sleep deprivation 'soundz interesting...
Count me in...
Old 08-01-2003, 03:54 PM

Talking

Hey:

Sounds like you guys are starting to fish "Regular Hours" (from my old school):hehe:
Old 08-01-2003, 04:44 PM
President of CAC

Grego... nice to hear from the "old Crowd".... I figured this might drag you out... Pete..I will call you tonight...for sure...JBasser just called... what about tomorrow night.... Saturday... start at about 1 or 2... walk the mile or so passed the sand bars.... and leave when we want....Park at the Light House.....Bring clear protective lenses,most important... cast by feel... enough of this Day stuff... we need to see if we can get some big fish... My only concern right now is the weather... I don't care about rain...but I don't like lightning, hunkering down in the dunes with my fly rod far away from me..... Bring cards and a compact hytech blanket... no sleeping bags.... I love it!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:12 PM

http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/I...ikeArticle.htm
Old 08-01-2003, 05:35 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Sensory deprivation...

Ever since this thread started I've been wearing a blind fold to hone my blackout skills and totally acclimatize my rods 'n cones...
Knot tying is getting better...doing the bathroom thing needs some work...and driving on rt.28 to buy fresh batteries was a real challenge (gridlock miniature golf traffic)!
I've picked out the stealthy ninja outfit and a BIGGG rod/reel combo to deal with truly annoyed large stripes...
Bring on the night!!!

ps
I've already been hit by lightning TWICE!! (flying in large gov't all metal airplanes)...'been there before, don't want to go back!
Let's try to make it a thunderstorm free experience...pleeeeze!

Last edited by Penguin; 08-01-2003 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.