Maine Atlantic Salmon listed - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2000, 05:32 AM

Maine Atlantic Salmon listed

After quite a long time and several law suits Maine's Wild Atlantic Salmon will finally be listed as an endangered species. Good job Mr. Babbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2000, 07:57 AM

RE:Maine Atlantic Salmon listed

Just in time. Not to start a controversial political argument, but there's no question that this would not have happened in a G.W. Bush administration. Now the question is can he overturn it? This will no doubt cost some people some measure of economic pain, especially in the aquaculture business down east. But just think of the status of the once mighty Cod. The destruction of that species triggered massive economic pain. Better management is the key.
Maybe the Atlantic Salmons time for protection has come too. This is a good first step. If not for the conservation efforts in this country we would be living in a sh&%hole and there would be no trout or stripers.

Terry
Old 11-15-2000, 08:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Maine Atlantic Salmon listed

I think Maine could benefit from a world-class atlantic salmon fishery, I recently read figures for the economic benefit of salmon fishing (sport) in Washington State was in the billions. I'm sure they included every cent including sport boat purchases (a large portion of the salmon fishing is in the ocean out there), but in fact many do buy boats for sport fishing as they do here.

In any case, I hope I live to see the day that this fishery brings more benefit to all than the business factions that will protest could ever bring to the people of Maine.

Add'l note: I am really surprised how long it took for this to pass, and how Mainer's didn't seem too interested in supporting it. I couldn't understand why. Any Mainer's or friends of Mainer's care to comment? Maybe I'll call Eldredge's in York to ask. Could it be that other than the Penobscot, the notion of the once great salmon runs have become so remote to people that they no longer relate to their presence in the region? Happened all over NH and MA. Tell people there was a big salmon run in the Merrimac, they kinda believe it. Tell people about the run in the Concord or the Charles, and they laugh at you. It took a brood stock program in Franklin to remind people of the fact that salmon really did exist in the headwaters of the Merrimac / Pemigewasset Rivers. We should watch the ESPN2 coverage of the White River VT / Connecticut River salmon legacy, another great salmon run destroyed by the industrial era.

Maine's rivers like the Saco, Kennebec, etc - are year-round cold water rivers with copious tributaries and freestone feeder streams. DAMS killed these runs, but the habitat still exists in many cases on either side of the man-made run killer. If we can continue to remove or route passageways for anadramous species, rivers like the Saco (the beautiful Saco which runs all the way up into the White Mountains!) can be premier atlantic salmon rivers once again.

Once again, I hope I live to see the day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.