Anyone - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 09:46 AM

Anyone

Seems as if the fishing has really slowed down to a snails pace... other than Mike and his 2 monsters and a few semi good days on the flats by all you Monomoy junkies.

Anyone have any encouraging news coming from the beaches? Between work, family obligations and the girlfriend I have only been dreaming about getting out the last couple of weeks. Sad thing is the boat is just sitting there waiting for me to get my brakes done on the Jeep. Perhaps a sick day or 2 will be in order so if anyone has off in the next week or so and wants to head out of lower CT for the day. Just let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 10:01 AM

I'm in a major slump. Last 2 outings, no 3 outings, got skunked. Chasing Bronzebacks in Maine coming up. My lucks going to change. Only people catching now are the bait guys. And they're getting some hogs.

Lefty
Old 07-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Lower Ct.

I'll be back to Stamford around August 10th. That also means back to work. A sick day or 2 sounds good. Besides, I have eye problems. I just can't SEE myself going back to work. :eyecrazy:
Old 08-01-2003, 06:00 AM

Happens ever year about this time , bass are deep. The tube and worm guys are getting the big cows. Then the hard tails come in and everyone forgets about the bass. Its all about temperature and the bait being offshore.
FishHawk
Old 08-01-2003, 08:57 AM
President of CAC

Time for Night fishing????????
Old 08-01-2003, 10:26 AM

The night

I have been out a few times at night and fished the tides til the wee hours of the morning. Both on the flood and ebb. No avail. There are fish showing at Pensfield in Fairfield CT but they have lock jaw. Lots of 1/2 inch rain bait around and some spearing but the bass seem to ignore most offerings. Maybe a Crab would work? The fish are coming in very shallow on the NE side of the reef between the reef and Bridgeport. Also fish are showing along the Shark Bar in good numbers but the bait guys, pluggers and fly fisherman are occasionally hooking one or two shorts while the hogs seem to ignore all offerings. Dunno the deal?

On a side note two friends of mine were out on the Reef 3wks ago and one of them hooked what they believe was a Jack Crevalle!!!!!! Waiting to see the pic to confirm. Now I know it sounds like a tale but I have known both of these guys for 10 yrs and are probably 2 of the most honest guys around ( almost to a fault ) so even without the pic I wouldnt doubt it.

The reason I wouldnt doubt the catch of an Exotic is that Lee Wolf wrote in one of his books that he caught a Jack in the Hudson River years ago in the warm water outflow of Indian Point power plant by my house.

Also old time locals have told me that the Shark Bar got its name from the Occasional Brown or Blue Shark that gets caught off there every year around the 1st week in Sept. Also a man was bitten on the leg a few years back and in another case a man dragging a bluefish on a stringer tied to his wading belt was taken down when a shark grabbed the blue fish while wading back in waist deep water! When he got to his feet the bluefish was almost gone .. all that remained was the head and a little meat around the gills.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Fly chucker

Re: night fishing

A friend and I had very consistent fishing a week ago fishing from dark to about 2AM. We were in the Thames river area of CT and fishing moving water. Plenty of bait and well worth the effort.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:43 AM

One just has to put in the time fishing rather than trying to get info off the internet. Sight fishing works.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 AM

Hi Art - how have you been doing? Haven't seen you post in a while - I imagine you've been fishing instead, by your post.

Hope all is well. Hope to see you again at the Rhody Clave.

TL,

Dave
Old 08-03-2003, 12:17 PM

Not a very good picture Dave. Lots of glare. look close a few bass on top of screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bassfl.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2140  
Old 08-03-2003, 12:34 PM

Hey DblHaul,

New London was my home town, spent a lot of days in and on the Thames, but haven't been back for years. What part of it were you fishing? They still making subs on the Groton shore?
Old 08-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Fly chucker

sjs- If I told you the spot, my friend would no longer be a friend.....

Suffice it to say that it was on the western side of the river, very near the mouth. And again, it was well worth the effort and lack of sleep.

As for subs being made in Groton, there's plenty of sandwich shops throughout the state....oh, you mean the navy vessels. With the tight security in the area since 9/11, I'm going to assume that they're still being made and serviced there.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:58 AM

I wasn't really asking about the spot you were fishing, just generally where you were cause I was getting nostalgic memories.

I'm an old fart, so it was long ago, but as a skinny little kid I used to fish from the rocks near the lighthouse at the mouth. For a while, my family lived about a block from there. The owner used to chase us away, and we kept sneaking back, so I guess it was really more like poaching (except we never caught anything, and to young kids, we never understood that one person could keep God's natural gifts all to themselves-getting on a boat was something that seemed like an impossible dream back then).

I remember people in boats catching alot of blues back then, and rock bass, but strippers were unheard of. It's great to read about the comeback of that fishery. Well, sorry to blab on, getting nostalgic again I guess.

Tight lines, and keep those reports coming. I love to read about the fishing you guys are doing in my old haunts.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:03 AM

Sight Fishing

Well aware that sight fishing works ( been at this game for 15yrs ) also well aware that reports on the net are virtually useless, especially on this sight since I predominantly fish Southern New England, NY & NJ and not the Cape and its surrounding area. Was just curious to see if anyone has been having any good days out there since lately it's been extremely slow on the Bass front in my neck of the woods. Was just looking for a little hope and to vicariously live through those fortunate enough to fish in Striped Bass Mecca not to dig up anyones hot spots, glory holes or secret fishing grounds.

But thanks anyway ArtB for your words of wisdom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.