Return to the seen of the crime - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Return to the seen of the crime

I had to go back to the tackle shop that weighed my fish last week to pickup my wedding ring that I forgot when I washed my hands and decided that I needed to return to the reef to see if the big girls were still in town. I will dispense with the anecdotal prose and just say 5-6 very large fish dropped one of which was within 10 ft. and I saw perfectly clear. That fish was 45+ minimum. I landed one fish that after 40+ min. of serious resuscitative therapy succumbed to the stresses of the fight. This upset me so much that I quit drifting Hickories and think that I have to re-evaluate the the prudency of targeting these very big fish. If the eventual ending is always going to be fatal than I do not need nor do I want to fish for them anymore. I amusing tackle heavy enough to land bluefin tuna (schoolie) and I don't believe that is the problem. The 54 took too much time to land and this is why she died I am sure but I could not do anything to change that situation as she was in complete control and I could do little but hold on as I had the drag as tight as it would go. The fish today was landed in no more than 5-6 min. and the water temp. was 59.6 deg. so I am at a loss as to why these fish are dying after capture but really doesn't matter as I don't want to kill anymore............PERIOD! The fish measured 45" and weighed in at 32 lbs. a beautiful fish that would have been better off not eating my live fish. I brought her home and she is headed to the inlaws as they were expecting filets from the 54. I finished out the morning throwing a 650 gr. and bunker/herring fly on a 12 wt. just for the heck of it, didn't really think I would hookup but I wanted to try out the rod my friend had loaned me. A nice day on the water but a sad ending to another fish that will haunt me for awhile. I have killed maybe 8 fish total in the last 10+ years and it still bothers me to kill any of them.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2003, 12:49 PM

Good man Mike. Like a good hunter you're dealing with it. Great post.

Lefty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Thanks for the encouragement Southpaw:hehe: I won't stop fishing but it is bothersome to have these fish keep dying on me. Going out tomorrow with a good friend and my brother-in-law, I am going to play guide for the day and watch them catch fish. Hope they can hook inot a really good fish would be very exciting for me to watch them catch a big fish.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.