The Choice of Pros - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 11:21 AM

The Choice of Pros

I'm honestly not trying to start a flame war here, but I am trying to take limited opportunities to fish other than my home waters, for other species, and I want to make the best choice for how to spend a finite amount of time and money.

I know it is subjective, but I want to ask those of you with wide and varied experience fishing for eastern, Great Lakes and Pacific varieties of Salmon (including those that might not technically be salmon-admitting my ignorance, I'm not sure a steelhead is a salmon but it should certainly be included in the list), which is your favorite.

Everyone has their own idea of what makes a favorite, including the suroundings, method of fishing and weather and it isn't always the biggest, fastest fish that counts. But whatever your criteria, what is your favorite salmon type fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 11:37 AM

Atlantic salmon, but I should tell you that this is the only type of salmon I have ever caught. The rivers in which you can catch this fish are varied -- wooded forest, rural, wilderness (Russia). You can fish inexpensively (NB, Quebec, NS) or expensively (Russia, Norway, Iceland, Quebec, NB). Great fighting fish that will take on the surface. Once you catch one, you think of little else.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:28 PM

Michigan salmon and steelhead

Here in Michigan, we'll start seeing chinook salmon come out of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron to spawn in numerous rivers as early as late August. It depends upon water temps, of course. Usually, you can count on millions of fish during Sept. and early Oct.

Steelhead follow the salmon to eat the eggs, and nymphs that are washed out from under the gravel when the chinook hen fans the gravel to make her spawning redd (nest). Large brown trout also will hold in the deeper pools behind the spawning redds.

Spring is when the steelhead come in to spawn, but many will hold over the winter after coming upriver behind the chinook.

The Pere Marquetter River, just outside the village of Baldwin, has a flies-only, no-kill stretch of river which holds outstanding numbers of fish. For those who wish to keep fish, other stretches of the PM, or the Manistee River below Tippy Dam (near Wellston) also have tremendous numbers of fish.

I've chased these guys since 1977, and gotta tell you that we get a LOT of fish!

Tight Loops,
Capt. Tony
Old 07-28-2003, 08:30 AM

thanks much for the info guys.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I love them all but when you start using words like "best" you are talking about dry lines, spey rods, surface flies and shirt-sleeve weather in pristine surroundings with native fish IMHO. Either the native summer-run steelhead in the PNW or as previously mentioned atlantic salmon in the Canadian Maritimes and in Scotland on the Spey or Dee, How about England's Tweed, or Russia perhaps the Ponoi, or Norway's Gaula, Sweden's Morrum, - untamed Kamchatka for steelhead.

But then again there is the wild north pacific coho, terrorizing baitfish in the churning tide rips amidst killer whales and coastal bald eagles in turquoise waters glimmering with candlefish and herring. It's cousin the chinook mysteriously finning the gleaming light columns in kelp forests, evading most angler's attempts at solving their capture on the fly, an un-tapped fishery waiting to be solved. The introduced searun browns of Patagonia seem to call to me as well.

When it comes to salmonids, my preference is anadramous, wild and taking on a dry line on the swing on a spey rod.

This would not however be a choice of pros, but a choice of practitioners of the art.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
NC Fly Guy

Dry fly fishing for big wild brown trout is my favorite type of salmonid fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.