J Austin Frobes reels? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Recent Member

J Austin Frobes reels?

Does anybody have any experience with J Austin Forbes reels. I am looking at the Tarpon reel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 08:21 PM
Flats Rat

Andrew

I dont have personal experience with this reel but did a bit of a search. They're made in the UK and the list price theTarpon model is $434.

Anyone else out there have any experience - looking at their web-site they have some interesting products like the worlds smallest fully functional flyrod and reel!
Old 08-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Recent Member

I am inquiring because I found them for sale at $208
Old 08-01-2003, 09:42 PM

pate Tarpon Reel with spare spool

I have a near new pate Tarpon reel with spare spool for $440 plus shipping. I bought it for a trip that got cancelled. I have maybe 10 hour s practising on it. Details are listed in ad under For Sale By Owner in this Forum. If interested email at jackk@pobox.com

Last edited by nevada caster; 08-02-2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:00 AM

I owned

I had the J.Austin Forbes III ( Blue ) Caged Frame. Loved the Reel. The large arbor wasnt so large but all in all I found it a great reel. Only reason I got rid of it was a friend was looking for his first "striper" reel and line, I had 1 too many reels in the arsenal. Sooooo now he is using it and LOVES it. One dilema that I had was the Saltwater Foot on the reel was too thick to fit the real seat on my Powell. I called them up and they sent me their standard foot as well as reel grease, line cleaner as well as some other neat stuff for FREE.

I found their customer service to be better than anyother company in the industry. KUDOS to J.Austin Forbes!!! I will be buying another soon.

By the way their US office is in CT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.