Rogue Flyfishers Annual Steelhead Championship - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2003, 01:36 PM

Rogue Flyfishers Annual Steelhead Championship

A bit of info to pass on.

The Rogue Flyfishers (Medford,OR) will be holding their annual Steelhead Championship on Sat. the 27th of Sept.

This is a non-profit fund raising event, with donations historically directed to various Upper Rogue River stream inhancement projects.

Of late, (and including this year) the majority of the proceeds raised from this event, will be directed towards the on-going envolvement of the Rogue Flyfishers in the removal of the Savage Rapids dam on the Middle Rogue.

For the past two decades...The Rogue Flyfishers, along with many concerned conservation organizations, and a broad base of individual anglers...Have fought for the removal of this antiquated Anandromous barrier.

As many of you readers probably know, the removal of this dam has been an extremely controversial, and heated issue here in the Rogue watershed for many years.

But it appears that we are now down to the final "Nuts and Bolts" of actually removing the dam, and replacing the pool with an efficient pumping system. This to not only meet alloted Ag needs of the Grants Pass valley, but also allow 100% safe passage of our migrating fish. Most everyone seems to be on board with this final outcome !

As we all know the complexities of water rights issues in the West can become very heated... And in that regards... This solution is a MAJOR precedent concerning un-needed fish barriers on our Western rivers.

About the Steelhead Chanpionship :

Sept. 27th, on the Upper Rogue, in Medford, OR.

A donation of $135.00 will put you on a full day guided fly fishing drift somewhere between Lost Creek and Gold Ray. This will include a shore lunch, and a fancy "Wine and Dine" dinner and auction held at the Red Lion in Medford at days end. PLUS..There will be generous prizes for the largest and most accumulated inches of fish registered for the day...Both for the rower and contestant.

One hell of a deal, and great fun !

The Upper Rogue has over 6000 summer fish already, and with the low releases of Sept, and additional returning numbers of 3 to 12 pounders (not to mention a growing number of Ocean run Cutts)... The fishing should be epic !!!

Please check out www.rogueflyfishers.org for updates.

Hope to see you there.....Bob Meiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 04:01 PM

Rogue Flyfishers Annual Steelhead Championship

Bob

Do you have to be a Rouge Flyfishers Member. I am interested, but would be coming up from N CA

Andre
Old 09-05-2003, 08:02 PM

Andre,

Quite sure that it is a come one come all event, but will check for you and get back ASAP.

Be great to see you there !

Best...B. Meiser
Old 09-05-2003, 10:05 PM

Side bar here...

The Rogue FF organization is one of the oldest, and I think the largest, in southern Oregon. Great group of folk and VERY worthy of your financial support.

The removal of this dam wil have a significant inpact on the fish runs in the upper Rogue. Better yet, the waters Bob's talking about are up to their eyeballs in fish as we 'type.'

A good thing.
fae
Old 09-05-2003, 11:48 PM

hows it been

Fred

Been hitting it lately. I almost came up this weekend, but I have to go in and work for a few hours sometime. I hate that. Going to BC on vaca on Wed so have lots to do between now and then before I go.

Bob

thanks for checking into that for me. Missed fishing with you a few weeks back when I met up with Fred and JD. Fishing wasn't so good, but the company was great!

AD
Old 09-06-2003, 12:19 AM

Speaking for JD and I (sorry I'm not in a good place now)

Any time, we all had a good time
fae

Sorry, but Sheba was my best fishing buddy. Too cold, and a yelp from the beach/rocks .. take me to warm car.

Sorr y guys but I'm intending to get tollaly shi. faced tonight. A friend, a love is gone from my life. Life it is, but not a good part.....
fae
Old 09-06-2003, 12:33 AM

of course the darned thing needs to come out and that will spread the users of the resevoir out ,upriver, into my water,FYI, the jetskis are allowed to gold ray,and my opinion is ,free the whole river,a tremendous loss of fish runs specific to each arm of the headwaters occured with the building of lost ck. it seems to me after fishing the nursery waters that i've cought non-native species out of and all the fishless waters that should have had smolts in them that a terrific loss has occured, and a MUCH better study should have been done,an old fishing hole with a ton of memories got burried under that lakeand i'm a local boy so i lived and went to school with people that built lost ck,they lost more than one creek in my opinion,,sorry about venting but it,s been a whole week of being behind and i spent an hour on my river tonight and I am moved to speak out, so ,my appoligies for crashing the party,but to talk about what's hurting the fish on the Rogue,one must look at the whole picture,,,,GENTLEMAN,,,see you on the river,where i know your heart lies,,,peace!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:38 AM

Fred if you've lost your fishing buddy,my deepest regards go out ,mine is 13,and he's the navigator,,,been with me on almost every fishing trip,,,nothing else to say,have a tall one!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 01:53 AM

Re: Speaking for JD and I (sorry I'm not in a good place now)

Dam I am sorry Fred. I feel for you. Last October I lost our 12 yr old Rottie, Sierra. Tried to save her, but it just wasn't to be. Hardest part was having to tell Megan that out big "Lap Dog" wasn't coming home. We still get sad knowing shes not "physically" here with us. Hang in there bud, and lets wet a line.............

AD
Old 09-06-2003, 02:19 AM

Fred... Very sorry big guy

Lost a big red Irish fishing buddy myself a few years ago...Helped me beach more then a few fish over the years. Loved to roll in Salmon carcases when he thought I wasn't watching...Thank god I always drove a pick up.

A few tall ones are always good medicine, a tap of my glass to yours for Sheva and my old Joe.

No worries Hammer... And Good on Ya.

There's more then little of Hay Duke's blood coursing through the veins of most Steelheaders ... Especially when standing at the base of a dam... Haunted by the memories.

RBM
Old 09-06-2003, 06:43 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Fred
Really sorry to hear about Sheba. Just happened to a fishing buddy of mine. Thoughts are with you.
B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.