Where To Fish In Fairbanks? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM

Where To Fish In Fairbanks?

I'm going to Fairbanks, Alaska in a few weeks and bringing my fly rod. I have read a ton of stuff on fishing in southern Alaska, and higher up in the Arctic Circle for char, but haven't heard or read much about Fairbanks.

Can someone give me some info on where to go, what to use in the way of leaders, flies and techniques, and any other info concerning the greater Fairbanks area? I get the impression salmon of some kind will be upstream that far but probably will be worn out and not biting, so I am assuming it will be rainbow, char and greyling that are available. I will be there from August 29 thru Sept. 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 06:16 PM
LBFF Mojo

Will mainly be a grayling show but that aint a bad thing. I grew up there as a kid and remember many a fond day catching tons of grayling on the chena river. It was the best place in the world to grow up and I am planning a trip next summer.

Check out this article for a little info:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/travel/alaska/

Bring a 3wt and have a blast!

There are also a lot of gravel pits and lakes with big pike but it has been so long I do not remember the sepcifics but maybe someone on the board will.

-sean
Old 07-23-2003, 06:31 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
A few years ago...

After my airplane fire, while waiting for parts/repairs and going through some physical therapy, I ran across some nice folks in town...members of the Midnight Sun Flycasters!
All the rivers were frozen solid so they had meetings to tide them over until the "midnight sun" part of the deal came into play.
Then it was fisheatfishfishsleepfishetc.
WAY up-river in GODS country where a casual walk along a stream can turn into a sprint for your life to keep from becoming part of the food chain!

Do a little web search...'still time to make plans!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:07 AM

Thanks guys. Really enjoyed that article Sean. I wasn't planning on bringing a lightweight rod but I see I have research to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.