Line Weights - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2003, 02:03 PM
Recent Member

Line Weights

what line weight do you think i should get for fishing for panfish and trout. i fish in the catskills,adirondacks,and in the streams of western new york and pennsylvania. i also get out to the rocky mountains,henrys fork and madison once a year. i am used tousing a 6 and i felt like that was overkill. i am deciding between a 3 and a 4.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2003, 02:18 PM

I have a 6 and a 4 and find that one or the other covers most trout fishing situations. Consider the possibility that a shorter, slow action 4wt might "feel" like a 3 weight and work better when casting to tight quarters or brushy streams.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Recent Member

i was thinking about getting the rods in fiberglass instead of graphite. so that would be short and slow. i am leaning toward a 3. will that handle what im fishing for. i also have a six weight so that will handle heavy fish.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:43 PM

Where abouts in NY are you located???

I don't know what streams you fish, but I currently live in the Rochester area. My love is the lake-run steelheads and browns, and where a 6 wt. (although I have one that I use) is on the light side. My normal rod for this is an 8 wt. Part of the "year round trout fishing" experience I now enjoy! By the way, a 6-wt. is a bit light for big steelies and lake-run brownies; if you are into C&R, a fish played on too light a rod may be stressed too badly to survive, even if you THINK you have revived 'em!

For stream trout, on the West Canada, Black River, West Branch and big B'kill, a 4 is OK unless windy, then time for the 6 wt. For the smaller streams, a 3 or 4 is fine, unless you are casting into a stiff breeze. (That's when I reach for a 6).

As far as action goes, sounds like you like 'em slow, and that's fine. I like medium-fast, but that's personal preference. But, just a thought, you just MAY want to try bamboo - now THAT'S a nice slow action. Pricey, but nice. IF you shop around, you may just find a FISHING bamboo (not a collector) at a decent price.

You pays yo' money, and you makes yo' choices!

BobK

Last edited by BobK; 07-22-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Recent Member

re: fiberglass rods

Glassfisher, with a name like glassfisher, I would assume that you're already fishing and enjoying fibergalss rods. I have two myself and enjoy them better than my graphite rods. If you want great advise on glass rods (and maybe you have already been there), go over to "ClarksClassic Rods" (type in your search engine) and go to the fiberglass rod forum, these guys are experts on glass rod. Happy fishing -Yaffle
bye the way my rod weights are 4, 5, 5, 5/6 and 8, I am also contemplating a 3wt for small streams, maybe 7'.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Pullin' Thread

I spent 12 wonderful years in trout heaven (Montana) and found that 3 rods covered all of my fishing: they were 4,6, and 8 weights. The 8 weight was used for bouncing big Brook's Montana Stones on the bottom during runoff, fall fishing for big browns, spring fishing for big rainbows, or night fishing for large browns below the Missouri River dams.

The rod I used 70% of the time was a 6 wt. The second most used rod was the 4 wt., which was used about 20% of the time. The 4 wt was used for small fly fishing during the early spring (midges and BWO), summer mornings (Tricos), and fall (midges and BWO). The 4 wt handles a breeze a bit better than a 3 wt, and the Rockies have a breeze most summer days.

I also grew up in Pennsylvania (left for Montana when age 25), and used a 6 wt and a 4 wt for all most all of my fishing. I used an 8 wt for bass and night fishing for big browns. Therefore, I give the edge to the 4 weight over the 3 weight. And it makes no real difference if it is graphite, glass, or bamboo. With the caveat that if you want a long rod (9 to 11 ft) go with graphite. Shorter than 9 ft and makes little difference unless you like a fast rod.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:39 PM

LINE WEIGHT

Good evening,
I must concur, good information in all these posts. As Bob K responded, I find wind in all types plays a crucial role in the casting of light line. I use a 5 weight about 80-85% of the time and enjoy it, Working the lifelong learning curve. If I might add one more potato to the stew, spend some time researching your leader/tippet combo, for it is a intergral part of the line you cast, no matter what the #.
I to am an afficinado of those "Flaming Flat Discs" (Panfish)
Deerhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.