Swimming with Stripers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 AM

Swimming with Stripers

Greetings;

My brother came back from Arizona for a long weekend. We have some snorkeling equipment and did a little stint at Rye Beach, NH on the incoming. We saw some silversides, some fish about 5 inches long which were brown in color, some lobsters and many crabs. It was incredible. Then, closer to the rocky shoreline, I came face to face with a striper. I was following him around for a while. Then he went close to the bottom where I noticed some commotion. I took a breath and went down to the spot, and a large flounder blasted out of the sand and hid in the rocks! It really startled me. Iím not sure if the striper was trying to agitate the flounder, in hopes of having the flounder stir up the bottom, but it was very interesting.

The next day, we visited my sister in Maine. My brother in law took us to Higginís beach in Scarborough where a small river flows into the ocean. My brother in law started flyfishing and my brother and I went in to snorkel on the incoming. It was incredible Ė we saw starfish, crabs, a lobster and small baitfish before we became surrounded by dozens of stripers. They were milling about, anticipating some action, although we did not witness any feeding behavior. I have to admit, I was a little nervous and did not want to see any big blue fish up close. These fish were swimming around a deep trough just a few feet from the rocks on the opposite shoreline that my brother in law was fishing. On our way back in, we snorkeled through a huge school of sandeels. They seemed to be on a collision course with the stripers just another 30 yards out. My brother in law didnít catch anything, as the stripers were congregating about 40 yards out of reach amongst the rocks. I was impressed with the biodiversity that exists so close to shore.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Fly chucker

That spot at Higgins Beach was hit hard by yours truly for years when I was living up in Portland. So many nights full of strong outgoing tides at that tiny river mouth, and so many stripers.....

Good memories!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:37 AM

Cool Awesome report Bill

So, are you available to bring my fly down there and put it in some stripers mouth for me? I gotta end this drought somehow!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Middle Aged Member

How is access and parking at Higgens? My weekend in Maine is coming up and maybe I should try a new spot. Usually sneak off early and go down to Pine Pt. at the outlet of the Scarborough Marsh.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Fly chucker

Fred- The access there is very tough. I used to have friends who lived only one block from the beach and they were kind enough to let me park on their property when I fished, but once they moved I would park all the way out on the main drag (rt 77 I believe) and mountain bike the mile and a half down to the mouth of the Spurwink river. I'd chain the bike to the staircase that led down to the beach.

Some years ago there was a convenience store in the area that was within a reasonable walk of the beach. After 7pm they allowed parking in their lot for a minimal fee, as long as the vehicle was gone by 8am. Vandals ruined that opportunity for everyone, hence the need to park all the way out on the main drag.

Parking restriction signs are everywhere, and during the day there are some lots open for a fee. But the best fishing is in low light periods this time of year, and the access is tough. But the fishing can make the effort very worthwhile.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:14 PM

We parked about 3 blocks from the beach for $5.00. It was a small private lot. If you go early, late or on a dark day, you'll be able to park.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.