Rain jacket conundrum - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Recent Member

Rain jacket conundrum

Trying to solve the rain jacket mystery here in the Pac NW. Looking at making an investment in either the Patagonia SST, Simms Guide, and Orvis tailwaters. Any thoughts, experience, and/or recommendations are appreciated as they are all nice coats. Anywhere to find them discounted??

Muchas Gracias ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 08:08 PM

the Sims is far and away the best.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Not sure if this helps or not, but I love my Marmot Precip jacket

that I got from EMS last year for under a hundred bucks. Waterproof, lightweight, breathable, and two big front pockets. Also can access anything I put in my inside front pockets of my shirt as well.

Just another suggestion to look at...
Old 07-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've had good luck with the deep wading jacket. Pricey but really a great jacket. The zipper pull corroded in the extensive salt water use I give it, but I can't fault them for that. I don't rinse it after every use figuring the rain would dilute the salt. I think spraying off the zipper pull would be adequate to prevent this problem, the rest of the jacket is pretty flawless. I use the remaining metal to zip it up just fine but will probably repair the pull with one of those camper's zipper pull repair kits someday.

Even though this is a damn good jacket, for torrential rainfalls in cool weather nothing beats the ol' pvc jacket. Columbia used to make those inexpensive Frazier shorties for deep waders. Doesn't breathe but in cool weather it's not a big deal and you stay dry as a bone.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:42 PM

What size jacket are you looking for?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro's recomendation regarding Patagonia's Deep Wading Jacket is a good one. Great features, great jacket that will keep you dry without dropping a ton of dough ($180 or so).

If you want the ultimate wet weather jacket...go with the Simms Guide Jacket. Mine is a few years old and keeps me dry through the wettest nastiest of Olympic Peninsula downpours!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Pullin' Thread

There is also my current favorite rain jacket for winter fishing in the PNW, the Hodgeman Fishing Jacket. It is a breathable jacket with hood that has pockets for tippets, line wallet (to hold your sink tips), fly boxes, hood hone, etc. I bought one when they first hit the market 3 years ago because it eliminates the need to have a vest and rain jacket in the winter.

For me, it is really hard to beat having a rain jacket that is also my vest for winter fishing here in Washington state. I never have to worry about forgetting my vest or leaving something behind because it is all in my winter rain jacket. Simple, convenient breathable, and durable piece of outdoor gear. The only problem is very few shops carry them in stock.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:06 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Simms Guide Weight

Two years ago, four of us were fishing the Muskegon in an all day downpour. Two were wearing Simms Guide Weight jackets. The other two were wearing a Cabela's Gore Tex jacket and an Orvis jacket. At the end of the day the two wearing the Simms jackets were bone dry. The others were drenched inside their jackets. Thats when the other guy and I purchased Simms jackets. They are designed for fishermen and an excellent investment if you want to stay dry.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:34 AM

Juro had the right idea...

Gore tex is fine if the weather is warmer. But if you fish in cold sleetstorms and snowstorms, there is nothing like a good vinyl rain jacket. You don't need much in the way of shirts under it, but a "non-breather" will keep you warm and toasty all day.

I have both types, and use 'em as weather, wind and temp. dictate.

BobK
Old 07-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Recent Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smolt
What size jacket are you looking for?
Large
Old 07-23-2003, 05:22 PM

Airedale,

If you are interested, I have a virtually new Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket in size large that I will sell for $90 US plus shipping. I also have a NWT Patagonia SST jacket in size medium (they run large) that I will sell for $175 plus shipping. I would have sent you an email or cp with this info, but those methods do not seem to be available for communicating with you.

CK
Old 07-23-2003, 05:30 PM

Smolt -

I'll take the deep wading jacket if you haven't sold it yet.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:39 PM

Its yours Juro. It is the blue ripstop jacket, not the greenish jacket. If you don't like it, you can send it back. Where do you want me to send it?

CK
Old 07-23-2003, 05:47 PM

First let's let airdale have right of refusal. Also I am not familiar with blue ripstop... is it a breathable material like the sage green one I own and love?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:03 PM

It is definitely breathable. It is the outer material that Patagonia used about two seasons ago. It is smoother than the current material -- which feels a little fuzzy to me. As I said, if you don't like it, you can return it, but I don't think you will.

By way of background, you may remember from our conversations about rods that I have an aquisitive streak in me. I now have a vintage SST jacket, the Deep Wading jacket, and two new SST jackets. I use the vintage SST. I bought the others in hopes that my sons might join me on a fishing trip or two. They haven't and most likely won't in the near future, thus my willingness to part with the Deep Wading jacket. The fact that I just recently bought a C-VEX 9/10 to use with my CND Custom 8/9 also has induced me to try to turn some of my past purchases into cash.

CK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.