Weekend reports - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 08:57 AM
Fly chucker

Weekend reports

Alright everyone....I had no fishing this weekend, so let me live vicariously through you. If you haven't already done so, please let us all know how did out on the water this weekend.

Tell us here or in the appropriate forum.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Flats Rat

Hit the Housie early Saturday a.m. and bagged four nice brownies in quick succession. Checked out the Carp hole further downriver but they have moved on to pastures new but I picked up my best ever Smallmouth at 14 inches . Sunday I went back to the Housie but it was a lot more crowded - I guess folks like to sleep in on Saturdays - or maybe its honey-do day I did manage a couple of trout but packed up early and hauled the yak to my local pond last night. Spent a couple of hours connecting with several largemouths most of which came unstuck. Then as it got dark I hooked and landed my best yet - about 2lb. Three crappies followed on successive casts. All fish hit a yellow/chartreus gurgler pattern with a marabou tail.

That little pond goes up in my estimation on each trip
Old 07-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Thumbs up SIC

I was down in Sea Isle City, NJ for a family vacation. Did manage to get out for an afternoon with Joe Hughes of Gibsons Tackle. Fished about a mile or 2 offshore out of his flats boat and started banging little blues on the first cast wth clousers.

As my relatives are spin-guys we switched over 1/2 way through the trip for sharks. We couldn't tease them close enough to the boat to get them on the fly but each of us C&R'd a brown shark of 30#s or so. What a fight.

Later in the day we fished the bay side of the cape and ran into loads of blues willing to hit topwater. Even boated a couple of small stripes. All on a white Bob's Banger.

All in all quite a nice variety to the day. Could not beleive how smooth and comfortable Joe's flats boat was on the open water with 4 6-foot dudes aboard. I beleive it was an 18 foot Scout - sweet ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Sponsor

When most fisherman stay home!

My father caught this 17" Smallie in the most stained water we have fished all year! Won't be sittin at home on those days anymore!!!

Old 07-21-2003, 05:10 PM

Slow day on the Susquehanna, but nice weather and I was wading wet so it was nice being out there. On the way back upstream to my truck I decided to try nymphing. I guess it's nothing new but I had never tried nymphing techniques before on a large river for smallmouth. Used a crayfish imitation and caught a 14 incher, along with several small ones.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My guests on the flats today had a very good day, I think the tally was somewhere in the order of 13 stripers and some really big fish that ate the fly although did not come to hand. As any flats angler knows getting the big smart fish in skinny water to close the deal and eat the fly is the hardest part, and Matt broke the code after many follows. Despite losing some submarines he landed some very nice fish during challenging times on the flats. I am lucky to be part of their annual vacation plans each year. Last year Frano had the hot hand landing a 33" fish, this year Matt took the top rod. It was a fantastic day overall.

All of these fish were hooked on 4-6" deep eels, in fact most fish have consistently over several trips. A few exceptions took a crab and some schoolies took a shrimp, etc - but the overwhelming majority were happy to chow a sand eel even in as little as 18" of water. The trick is knowing where and when to find these fish and spend less time casting to those fish if you catch my drift.

On a side note: Seals are really harrassing stripers this year - profoundly more than other years. I wonder if there is some shortage of forage species they are accustomed to that is diverting their angst toward the stripers on the flats? I mean openly aggressive and threatening attacks on frightened pods of stripers huddled like herring near the shoreline. Weird.

Needless to say these fish won't bite anything; it's not about the fly. Jared of Fishing the Cape reported similar observatios during the SWFF school. The seals corralled some fish in front of them as well. After no one could get them to eat a fly, a beach angler came over and threw fresh bait into the tightly huddled school of seal-frightened bass and couldn't buy a hit either. Well at that point you know there is little a fly change could do to reverse their mood.

Striper psychology - works for me!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 AM

SATURDAY

Evenin,
Just came back in from skateboarding.....
YES?
It's a 1.1 Meter (42") Red Oak Longboard, shaped by yours truly.
Coffiins, Drop knee turns, Spinners, etc...
Barefoot, of course!
Saturday I crack-o-dawned it on the upper Clack. With temps in the 90's as of late, the winds can be very shifty in the canyons. Landed 7 trout in 3.5 hours, with many more "getting off the hook" IF you know what I mean. Used a #18 Hare's Ear Caddis, then switched to a Stone around 9 as things started to heat up.
It was a rather inaccessable spot, and I had it all to myself, 'cept for the Kingfishers and Water Oozel's.....
Have been feeling the draw to the Umpqua Region recently....
Hope these pics come thru
Deerhawk
Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 PM

pics

this is a test
dh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue frog.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2128  
Old 07-29-2003, 11:20 PM

test

another test, just have to, new camera, new software
dh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mountain view.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	2129  
Old 07-29-2003, 11:27 PM

test

thanks for your patience, test of new camera, software
dh
Old 07-29-2003, 11:28 PM

test

test of next photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	washington view.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2130  
Old 07-30-2003, 12:05 AM

Test

thanks for the wait, hope im not boring anyone
dh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blue frog.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2131  
Old 07-30-2003, 12:21 AM

test

This is the last one
thanks for your patience
dh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	just another pool.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2132  
Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 AM
NC Fly Guy

redfish photo 20 lbs

Here's another fish we brought to the boat recently. This guy is a young marine from Lejeune:
Old 07-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
Weekend...

I will post around when I return. I will be on a 5 day trip to upper Michigan chasing early kings in the streams and surf. I will be testing out my newer spey rods as well, I want to do a little bit of casting while I am there. I might also take a day to target large trout at night while mousin' and chase golden bones in the Traverse City Bahamas(water is gin clear looks like the tropics) and fish are on flats like bones and permit. Cannot wait, hopefully all goes well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.