Happy Dad at South Beach - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 11:33 AM

Happy Dad at South Beach

My daughter Amy was in from California. I've been waiting a year to introduce her to saltwater FF, as her FF experience is all trout streams in the West. Weather forecast was iffy for yesterday, I had hoped for enough sun to at least see fish and have her enjoy the beauty of the area.
We got sun, saw at least 2 to 3 hundred fish and she caught 4. As a Dad it just made my day!!!!! To all you fathers of daughters out there, 1 of which we met yesterday, you know the feeling.
All fish caught on a 1 1/4 inch tan shrimp. I take no credit for the choice, I chose a 2 1/2 inch sand eel pattern for her to start. In the grass at K bouy she snags a tiny shrip on the sand eel fly, said..."got anything that looks like this"??...I did and the fish loved it.
We also met a senior FF out there with a great Irish accent, who willingly shared knowledge and tips (as he was killing them). That only made the day better as it showed that the people you meet are as great as the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 12:41 PM
President of CAC

That Guy was Dave Brown who fished with Juro, Pete and I earlier this week... a great guy.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Flats Rat

I think I met the senior guy with the Irish accent back in early June. Sounds like he's been out there every day since and cracked the code.

Great report!
Old 07-18-2003, 06:09 PM
President of CAC

Adrian..the guy has to be in his 70's... when I met him he was fishing with Jim Simms,, then we had him scheduled for a rip trip...the day I went out I met him at the Rip Ryder at 8 and said that he should come with us.... he had already been fishing from 3 am at Morris Island that day... he never gets tired.... Quite a guy.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Glad to hear you had a great time with your daughter - you are both lucky to share such an experience together and I hope my turn will come! My girls love the beach but taking a photo for me is as close as they'll come to the fish. I'm workin' on them though
Old 07-18-2003, 07:34 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Dave Browne

Gotta tell ya, fished with him three days last week, and he is an excellent SWFF with perseverence and a passion. He hails from Long Island, and I believe he said he landed 120 albies on the fly last year, and that was from shore. Seems he fishes 7 days a week when they are in.

I'll try to get him back after Labor Day for the bunker feast, but suspect he will be after the albies on L.I.

He definitely plans to be back in June for the sightfishing on the s.e. flats.

Simms
Old 07-18-2003, 08:28 PM

Looks like with our chance meeting of Dave Brown yesterday, we met a legend! Hope we meet up with him again soon, and not have to rush to get the shuttle.
Juro, hope you get your "day"......it was my turn this year for new experiences...last year she took me to the Mammoth Lakes Region in C.A......hiked into John Muir National Forest for some native trout stream fishing......area was breathtaking. Nothing much better than the student teaching the teacher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.