Nice Trouphy size Trout C & R - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 08:00 AM

Location: My "home waters" really belong to the beavers........and they let me know it now and then !
Nice Trouphy size Trout C & R

Paitence pays off. My favorite very large tailwater is none for quality over quanity. It has some very large meet eaters in it.

Every year I get a few. Last night right at dark God smiled and a 24" Brown just SMASHED my swung sz. 6 bugger. Huge fight, big leap, and a few "wow's" by me latter and it came to hand.

I have learned over the years when fishing the big boys if you want to land them, proper streamer gear is a most. I had a 9' 6" 6 wt rod and my tippet was heavy, drag set tight, large arbor reel.

The big Brown still smoked the drag, in the rivers strong current, over & over.

Ahhh, it was nice to fall asleep last night dreaming about that Brown, the river & the hard rip on the swing.

h2o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Fly chucker

My streamer setup is very close to yours: a 6 weight rod, 8.5' long. I never use anything lighter than 2X tippet because of too many breakoffs on the initial strike.

It sounds like you caught quite a monster. I hope the memory stays with you vividly for a long time.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:38 AM
Salmo Scout

Browns

It is amazing how the browns prowl at dark, isn't it? There is a trout that is a real predator. Even rainbows fall to the browns once in a while and I have taken browns on "mouse" flies that were 7-8 inches long. I was fishing the Housatonic(sp?) this Spring and had a monster brown come completely out of the water so I could see the belly in the early afternoon.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:00 AM

h2o:

Excellent!!!! I would have loved to have been there to see that happen. Well done!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.