South County SBFT's - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Secret:Time on the water

South County SBFT's

Well I have gotten a tip that there are small bluefin within reach of my boat so I am going on a search and hope mission on Sunday. Hint ............South County is the jump off point. I was told that there were a few fish taken on the fly and last year when this occurred I was about a week and a half late hearing about it. So this year I am going to take a look and see what I can find. Will have a mate with me so if we do get lucky enough to hook one of those beasts one of us can drive while the other holds on:eyecrazy: ! I will report back with any and all results.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 04:53 AM

Mike they are just bigger Albies!!:hehe: With your success at catching Albies you should get a bunch of them. Looking forward to your report.
FishHawk
Old 07-18-2003, 07:04 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Go get'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2003, 07:37 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Mike, nice hearing that your time of the year has arrived. Looking forward to your posts.

Thanks again for your hosptiality in May.

Simms
Old 07-18-2003, 07:54 AM

Bring your camera

Hi Mike

You gotta get a pic of one of those beasts if you put one in the boat. Look forward to your report.

I was lucky enough to spend the day fishing with Mike last year...if anyone can land a BF on a flyrod I'm sure Mike's the man for the job. Good Luck

Craig
Old 07-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hope you find 'em Mike!

Heard from three sources that the little tunoids are also making sporadic appearances in the nether regions... should be settled in pretty well around Washburn by August 22
Old 07-18-2003, 09:58 AM

I feel a fever coming on.
Tuna Madness.......

Go get 'em and be careful
Old 07-18-2003, 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen. I am at this moment seething with anger as my GPS that went belly up was supposed to be here today via 2-day air and UPS just came and went and did not stop at my house. The company was nice enough to upgrade me to a color unit for all my trouble but if I don't have it for Sunday the Bluefin trip will have to be scrubbed and I will not be very happy about that. I have a call into the tech. support guy I have been dealing with..............hopefully he calls back with better news than I have at this moment. The ride to where these have been is not that far, about 21 mi. from the CT. ramp where I launch but if I don't have GPS up that way I ain't going as fog is almost a certainty, even with the GPS if it is socked in I may have to scrub anyway as I don't want to tempt fate on a maybe. Will keep you all updated.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Shark Bait

Dire circumstances...lots of places have very loose return policies. I know my Garmin Etrex Legend does an awesome job, I would trust it, and it has most of the bouys and coastline in it already, and it's only around 100-150 bucks now. Food for thought..
Old 07-18-2003, 01:39 PM

LMFAO..............! Nick funny you should mention that as my wife is the world master at playing that game I may have to think about that, my Garmin hand held works fine but it only gives me position info then I have to get the chart out and do it the old fashioned way and I hate to do it that way...........too time consuming if you don't nav that way all the time. I just talked to the company and they sent the unit out yesterday not Wed. so I won't have it until Monday which is not good for the Sunday trip. Seems they are closing down the repair facility in Utah and everyone is losing their job so nobody gives a s**t about anything. Just my luck! Oh well I will have the new COLOR GPS on Monday and I should be back in business.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 07-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Shark Bait

I've been known to play the game once or twice myself .

Hope you figure something out!

nick
Old 07-21-2003, 04:31 PM

Well I ditched the Block Island BFT search idea in favor of fishing Southside Montauk. When I tell you I got skunked I am not giving you the whole story. My friend Kevin caught several bass up to about 12 lbs. but we saw fish all morning long and some of them (swearing on my fathers still warm grave) were easily pushing the upper 40 lb. mark and may have been 50 lbs. These fish were giant bass, biggest I have ever layed eyes on while fishing in the boat. All of them just swimming lazily under the boat in about 10 ft. of water. They were seemingly oblivious to us or our offerings all morning, we threw everything I can think of at them but to no avail. I had one large fish turn and take the fly only to jump the gun and pull the fly right out of it's mouth. This fish looked to be a solid 30+ lbs. but I will never know. In my defense these fish were all very close to shore in the boulder fields along the southside of Montauk and with the large boulders and ocean swell it was difficult to get close enough to them in a safe manner, it took me running the boat and kevin fishing in the bow to be effective at all, which was fine by me as long as someone was catching fish. But to see those monster fish swimming around us all morning was definitely more than anyone should have to endure without hooking up. Too much sun, not enough bait, very calm seas, and non-active feeding mode were the culprits I believe. It was a beautiful day on the water and the company was excellent, I did manage 1 16" fluke on a 14" herring pattern that chased the fly all the way from the bottom only to hit it at the boat. We fished for 6 hours around the southside and then went to Gardiners for nothing, no fish at all. Went over to the Gulls for another whiff, ended the day over at Plum/Sluiceway with another big whiff. I think if someone were to throw some live bait at those giants they might have some success but we did not have any bait nor did we have any plans to bring any, it was a flyfishing day and that is what we did, but if I do make it over there again in the near future I may be tempted to squirrel away a few slimy critters just for grins and giggles to see if those big fish would actually wake up to something real.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 07-22-2003, 08:26 AM

Mike

Great report… must have been something to see so many big fish… unlucky you didn’t get one to take a fly.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

All I can say is "WOW"... my head is full of visions of huge bass in the gin-clear rocky shoreline... I hope you solve the puzzle!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 AM

Tuff

Sorry to hear about the Goose egg. On a brighter note finding them seem to be half the battle out there. There will be a next time I'm sure and hopefully the fish gods will smile upon you.

Gonna head up your way on Sunday if your interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.