Kennebec River Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2003, 04:32 PM

Kennebec River Report

I fished the Kennebec River lin Maine ast Sunday (July 13th) from Phippsburg down to the mouth from about 6am untill 11am, I believe that was low tide turning to incoming.

Saw no -- zero -- birds working anywhere. Saw no schooling fish. Cast large flies -- Mega Clousers -- blind at the usual types of places as we moved downriver, but raised nothing. Fished various places at the mouth with no luck.

We then moved to the shoreline at the left-side (as you look out to the ocean, Popham Beach would be on the far rightside). A chartreuse and white Clouser cast into the wash at the shoreline rocks resulted in a nice 26" striper that weighed about 6-7 pounds.

The fish took softly, but really took off when it realized it was hooked. The largest striper I have ever caught was just over 36", but that 26" fish fought harder by far. It was a beautiful fish and the only fish we caught that day. It was, however, a great day to be on the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2003, 07:34 AM

thanks for the report. I'm gonna have to make the time to get up there.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks for the report Smolt!

We talked about a Kennebec spey / striper gathering a while back, any interest in August?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:36 PM

Hello Juro,

I expect to be back in Maine sometime around August 25th. I would be interested in participating if a group decides to get together.

I think the fishing patterns of the Kennebec may have changed since the Edwards dam was removed opening up the river above Augusta. Prior to the removal of the dam, I always had my best fishing from Phippsburg downriver. Maybe now the fish are more spread out up and down the river. What reeally surprised me was not seeing any diving birds or bait in the water on either of the two days I fished (July 6th and 13th).

I didn't mention the 6th in my original post because I felt it was too long ago to be relevant. The fact is that, even though I was told by alll the local mavens that fish were everywhere", we caught nothing and saw nothing on the 6th.

Best Regards,

CK
Old 07-21-2003, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I live on the Kennebec and would definately make the trip if a group got together.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:14 AM

Juro, I don't know if you've fished Popham beach before, but it is your kind of water. Lots of flats with bars and cuts and a small river mouth. Big fish are known to cruise knee deep water. I've never had great luck there myself having not mastered the upclose high vis scenario [give me rocks and whitewater on a cloudy day!]. Also, there are unlimited oppurtunities for flycasters all within 1/2 hour drive of Popham. Maybe there oughta be a Me clave?
Old 07-24-2003, 04:27 PM

I generally fish Popham hard in June, no bait slingers and few sun goddesses. This year was off, too cold too late but we did catch some. I also didn't fish it as hard this spring as usual. My brother fished the back side of the fort in the cove where the docks are and did well last weekend. Lots of birds working and fish feeding in the fog. Eddie and I fished around one cold July day last year and didn't do so well- off day. But it's real good fishing around there as a rule. The trouble now is the bait restrictions are off and the beach is full of bathers. The drop-offs are sudden and steep so it doesn't lend itself to much wading nor much room for a back cast. Night is best this time of year bring bug dope 'cause the marsh Squitos come three to the pound and will suck you dry like a raisin if you don't.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chris - It's clear that you don't work for the tourist commision!

Mike -

Thanks for the suggestion, yes I've fished Popham while working at Bath Iron Works many moons ago but it would be great to fish it again after all these years. I'll bet the little diners where I found the best lobstah rolls in the world are still serving too, making for a nice apres' fish dinner with a local brewsky.

I need to visit my brother in Portland very soon, so maybe I could stay at the Atrium under my former Navy contractor status and hit Popham at dawn, then pop by my brother's place in the evening down in Portland.

If it all works out we can do a spey-in on the Kennebec as well. Except deet is bad for the flyline...
Old 07-29-2003, 09:16 AM

Fished the fort Saturday am. Caught two slot fish. There were clouds of 3" sand eels all around my legs. Saw a bluefish blitz and several striper blitzes. Out fished the chunkers- and all in two hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.