Has this ever happened to on the Flats? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2003, 06:02 AM

Has this ever happened to on the Flats?

Ok so I spot the fish and as they pass by throw my fly in front of the lead fish. The fish changes direction and is interested in my offering. As I strip in the fly the fish charges the fly but at the last second changes direction. What should I have done? This is why I keep coming back. Its the challenge of beating a smart fish on the Flats. When it all comes together it will be mission accomplished.
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2003, 06:05 AM

Unhappy

Spelling error in the title. Should have read: Has thie ever happened to you on the Flats. Sorry about that. FishHawk
Old 07-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hmmm.... let me think... no, it's NEVER happened.

You can be sure you're not alone in that category! Some days are full of follows with few takes to show for them. These fish are 10, 14, even 17 years old out there and have probably had their share of lip piercings. It takes a little more to win these fish over, especially during this invertebrate funk they're into nowadays. There are many, many little adjustments and subtleties that come into play and each may tweak your game into a battle with a striped submarine that day. Flats fishing is a game of subtleties, there is no panacea only hard-won success for head-shaven students of the art.

As someone who fishes the flats a lot, I an tell you that as much as some things stay the same out there others change dramatically from tide to tide. One day the fish can be very grabby, offering hard takes even when your cast is poor - other days you could do everything to perfection and they thumb their noses at you. I am not talking two different spots or tides, I am talking repeating the same tide phase on a spot where I absolutely crushed them one day with keeper counts in the teens and a few of them real pigs to the very next day when the fish were clearly there and following actively yet to catch one was nearly impossible.

There are so many little things an angler can do to help the fish close the deal. And the list grows with each day I spend there. So many subtle tweaks, and little trials to try. Disprove yesterdays hot ticket and introduce another idea today, a vicious cycle until some of them stick and stick for life.

But I love it that way!

If every striper that charged or followed the fly ate it, I would probably be a trout fisherman. Since we see several hundred good fish on the flats on a good day, I am elated that they are as challenging as they are. Even as they are today, there are things the angler can do to up the number of hookups per day. These are the things that make the pursuit worthwhile day after day, IMHO.

I have a pretty good handle on the situation out there, and I attribute my success to subtleties. They don't come easy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2003, 11:06 AM
President of CAC

Sorry, I have no answer to that just trial and error. Juro said it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2003, 05:13 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Fishawk;
Some days are diamonds, some days are pearls.
The worst day fishing still beats the best day at work!
Count your blessings and cast again!!
Cheers,
DK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.