Won an auction in the UK - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 07:34 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Won an auction in the UK

Sorry, had a problem with taking picture in the wheatley box for some reason, so image came out dark. But took a couple closeups. Nice box, and nice flies. Supposed to be a box of an older gentleman who passed away. Some flies are older, some are newer. Had a nice bit of correspondance with the seller of auction. Learned alot about the box and it's history and the owner's history as well. Didn't say any of these were tied in the 1800's, but he did say some of them were tied by the fisherman back in the 60's and later (some possibly earlier then that). He didn't have alot of exact dates, but said that he knew he had to stop fishing about 15 years ago due to an ailment. So all flies are at least that old, if not older. I bid on the auction for the box (was about $30 including shipping to US), but now with the history am gonna put the flies on display. Some nice ties, and I like that you can tell they were well used.

Thought I'd do the full and exploded version of the tube fly. Never seen one put together like this. Both the tubes had a steel leader to the hook and a barrel swivel on the end. Both had buffer beads in middle for tube fly to sit on. One (like this one) had lead wire wrapped around wire shaft. The other had metal tubes on the shaft. Pretty cool idea. Just thought I'd share these with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 08:28 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
SH69
Thanks! Wonderful, interesting flies. Would love to see individual photos of some of the other flies.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2003, 09:32 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Would be no problem

If you guys want to see more, can do that no problem. Found another interesting fly. It has THREE single hooks tied in unison. Each facing opposite direction. Didn't notice until I unloaded the box. I almost wanted to keep them in the box, but I bought it to use. So put them in a leather wallet I have that I don't use and put them on my fly tying desk. But, will go through and take a picture of a few more for you all.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:24 AM

Steelheader69
Thanks for posting shots of those flies - the metal eyes would indicate that they were tied in the last centuary, prior to this every fly had a gut eye. The dyed blue guinea on the front of the Thunder&Lightening waddington(2nd photo) would probibaly suggest a dating of after 1960, as before this the original blue jay was used in most flies that called for it.
speydoc
Old 07-15-2003, 02:16 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Yup, I know Speydoc

I meant 1960's, not 1860's. Actually I did a more indepth post on the NW fishing site I mod the flyfishing area. I let everyone know that since these had metal eyes they were made in the 20th century. But like I said, person I bought them from said they were tied from about the 1960's to present. But nice flies nonetheless. I was give QUITE the tutorial about what makes a classic Atlantic Salmon fly by a few guys in the UK. So got it pretty down pat now.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:26 AM

Malcom (Willie Gunn) should be proud.

At least two of the flys shown are "Willie Gunn's;" but the first one has what appears to be a bit of toothpick or sum such in front. Is that actually part of the tie? The second one also appears to be tied in a tube configuration; correct?
fae
Old 07-15-2003, 11:32 AM
President of CAC

Really Very Nice!...great find.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Recent Member

bugs

Hi congratulations on this treasure.
One tip: when displaying them, beware of bugs, they love flies, especially older ones....
Hans
Old 07-15-2003, 11:56 AM

Fred,
I think the tooth pick or piece of match is to hold the nylon attached to the treble to stop the fly falling off. Definately not part of the dressing, just a clever way of holding the fly in the box.

The other one looks like a devon minnow mount with that much lead byou could almost cast it on a fixed spool reel. A real cast and duck set up. Possibly for the Tweed in Autumn.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 07-15-2003, 12:27 PM

Hey, guys, check your "reading comprehension" ability...

Like the man said, he did the "full" and the "exploded" view of the fly!

My translation was that "exploded" view, the piece with bead and treble is the "removeable core", and that goes inside the "sleeve" (the external piece with the hair tied to it.

With both pieces assembled ("full"), that is the pic with the splinter of wood holding the core/sleeve together.

Sheesh! C'mon, guys, get with the program!:hehe:

BobK

PS - Nice collection, Steelheader! You did GOOD!

Last edited by BobK; 07-15-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:22 PM

Thumbs up Bob, you could be right ... or wrong?

But assuming the hook/wire body/lead wrap/etc., was all for a center core for sliding on a tube fly, what a heck of an ingenious idea. You could tie a smaller-more compact- fly and still adjust the weight of the thing by changing the center "module."

fae
Old 07-15-2003, 02:15 PM

Obviously a sharp idea!

Clever people, those orientals! (Or was that a Scot???)

BobK
Old 07-15-2003, 04:03 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Talking At least BobK can read

Yes, those two pics are the same fly. I myself thought it was ingenious. There were two tubes like this. Other had lead tubes instead of wrapped lead thread. The top hook is a waddington shank.

But, to give you exact details on the tube. What he did was used steel wire for the body. He strung it through the barrel swivel, the bead, and then the treble hook. He wrapped the lead wire around the bottom and top of the bead. Then, simply slide the tube over the barrel and away you go. Yes, the toothpick is there to keep the assembly together while in storage in the flybox. I agree, VERY cool idea. Makes change up really easy, and weights them down. Simply change the way you make your assemblies to make them weighted vs. unweighted.

Yeah, it already looks like either some have been torn by fish or moths have got to them. Probably a mixture. I do like that you can tell most of these have been fished. The wings have that wetted down appearance having been swung a few times.

But the rest of you, REREAD it!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:
Old 07-16-2003, 05:52 AM

Nice Flies

An interesting set of flies there, SH69; you've got a good selection of different styles.

I've seen Waddingtons with the treble hook dressed in EXACTLY the same style as yours - might even say from the same tier. Definitely from the 1960's. Pretty sure the long black feather is heron.

I think the the tube fly is a 'Parker' fly. I have a couple of these in their original packaging, but not with me, so I'm working from memory here. I'm fairly sure they were sold by Sharpes of Aberdeen who were in their day arguably the best makers of cane rods d/h rods, and in particular those with spliced rather than conventional ferrule joints. These Parker flies are tied on large-bore tubes of coloured hard plastic, and were available with both weighted and unweighted mounts. As Malcolm says, the design of mount closely resembles those used on devon minnows. I think that it was developed to avoid the problem of the tube chafing the leader, and possibly also to ensure the hook stayed in line, but it also allows a fly to carry extra weight if needed (as in this instance). Modern lined tubes have eliminated the problem of chafing, so the Parker fly became redundant, if indeed it ever took off commercially! A nice little piece of history, again almost certainly from the 1960's.

Not quite clear about your description of the fly with three hooks - is it the blackish fly at the right hand end of the middle row of the left side of the box in your picture? If so that looks like a 'tandem' rig, which was quite often used for sea trout. These have either two or three hooks mounted astern, often with the second hook pointing upwards. You also have a couple of 'Worm Flies' in the box which were frequently tied on this rig.

Post any further questions here and I'll see if I can help with pattern identification etc.

PS, Fred, sorry to say it's not a Willie Gunn. Don't remember the date that fly was first tied, but it certainly wasn't popularised until somewhat later than the '60's. Also I think this fly lacks the orange hair of the true WG. I think it would probably have been sold as a 'Tosh'.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Salmo Scout

Treasures

keep the photos coming - great stuff for us pattern addicts.
appreciate the efforts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.