Worldwide weekend reports - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Fly chucker

Worldwide weekend reports

Aside from those of you who have already put some reports in the regional forums, did anyone else get out and catch some fish this weekend?

I had a barbecue on Saturday, and a company family picnic yesterday. Fishing didn't happen either day, but there's always the VERY near future.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 02:43 PM

Thumbs down

Friday turned to Saturday turned to Sunday without bringing a fish to hand...
Old 07-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Just another day in paradise...

thanks for snapping the pic BigDave

SAT: Wind was a bitch but the sun made nice little portholes in the chop thru which the shadows of big bass on the sand were unmistakable.

This fish took the two hander deep into the backing and fought like nobody's business. I was fishing with a heavier weight line because the rod allows it, which made it easier to overhead cast into wind.

SUN: I fished just for the morning. After the seal episode, there was a spot where it took a 90-100' cast to get the fly on the fish without stepping into their desired feed zone and spooking them. The problem was that they crossed over a light shoal to mill around over the dark bottom right in front of us, and to stand in the mill area would put the fish off. Anyway this turned out to be just the ticket for the two-hander as I hooked several fish by timing the cast just as the shadows made a push over the shoal when they were the most prone to attack a fly. Made it back in time for lunchtime... homemade lobster rolls at the cottage and a frosty one. Man I love summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2003, 04:51 PM
The Speyshop' Speybum

Juro

Rub it in! Rub it in!

Next year my friend.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

fished a bit on sunday without a single touch.

Juro, got the rod. Used the line from my 9140 and took the 1308 for a tryout, it casts nice. Look forward to putting a fish on it and see how it performs under pressure.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:21 PM

From Scotland

I had a good day on Saturday fishing the Lower Conon I landed three grilse and lost another three but that is the way with grilse easy come easy go. All were released relatively unharmed, just the odd sore mouth. I found I had my own collection of sea lice after keeping the fish against my legs whilst they got their breath.

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 07-14-2003, 05:29 PM
LBFF Mojo

Spent an enjoyable afternnon at speybums checking out his shop and picking up a new tip for my CND 1308.

On the way home decided I must cast the rod so I stopped off on the snoqualmie and catch the inflatable hatch at 3pm. JJ they aint so bad. Counted 36 assorted inflatable devices float by and there was a lot of people watching to be had. Hell one guy even gave me a beer.

Oh fishing...nothing caught but the rod sure throws a windcutter like nothing else!

-sean
Old 07-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sean, that reminds me of a day I took my son fishing on the Green in a quiet area near Flaming Geyser off the beaten path. We heard a cackling group of float tubers coming around the bend. My son asked where the drinks were and I said up in the cooler in the back of the truck, so he scurried up the hill to get a soda. Suddenly a bevy of topless beauties came bobbing down the river, offering cheerful greetings that steamed my sunglasses to put it mildly.

As soon as they passed, my son came back from the truck with a half-empty soda. Now he's a fast drinker and was pretty thirsty but I have a feeling he sat there enjoying the view from a higher point on the bluff. Actually I was really glad, saved me some fatherly embarassment and I didn't have to turn my head.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:39 PM

I fished the Snoqualmie with Brian. I did the first light while Brian slept through his alarm at home. Later, we found a new run (to us) and wondered all the way through why neither of us hooked up.

We had breakfast at the Colonial around noon where a waitress pointed out a pickup at the stop sign outside the window. The truck was full of fresh-picked, first of the season, Yakima sweet corn and was taking it to the Family Market up the street. I bought a dozen ears for $2.40.

Mmmmmmm,
Leland.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:16 PM
_

Talking

I finally got my first (and second, sort of) decent carp of the season despite the adverse sight fishing conditions and ongoing bass tournament. Saw loads of fish, had several opportunities and made a few decent casts and still didn't hook up until a few hours into the trip. An 8-10 lb carp finally took pity on me and ate my brown woolly bugger and proceeded to tow me up the shoreline past a couple of boat docks. There were three tournament boats and a couple of people in a canoe nearby to witness my antics as I rowed with one hand while trying to pull the carp from under a dock with my 7 wt . I managed to get that one to boatside but lost a larger one after it swam into the milfoil and came off the hook when I tried to pull it out of the weeds

Q
Old 07-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
fished but didn't catch....

I fished my local lake for golden bones(aka carp) with no success. Fish were on the flats but lack of wind and ultra clear water kept fishing spooky. Had one fish turn but wasn't interested.

This weekend coming up I plan on looking for early kings in a river upstate.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:18 AM

Thumbs up

Floated and fished the lower Deschutes thursday through sunday with an old buddy from Wales, He wanted to catch redsides and i was looking for Steelhead. We both did well until the wind came up which made it tough at times. Good company, Good Whiskey,Good fishing, Made for a good four days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.