A delightful problem - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Fly chucker

A delightful problem

I've come into the part of the season where I'm a bit overwhelmed at the fishing opportunities around me....this predicament is compounded even further this year because I'm now a boat owner.

I live within a short drive of several warmwater ponds and lakes that are perfect for the flyrod. Bass, panfish, and pickeral abound in these waters and provide fairly consistent action.

I also live one and one half miles from a boat launch on the CT River, and although the true striper run in the river is over, there are still schoolies to be had if you know where to look. Plus the smallmouth action is heating up, and the pike are into their summer haunts.

I am within reasonable drives of some reliable trout action. Although I haven't tried for trout yet this year (blame the boat for this), a handful of these areas will be hit hard when the mood finally strikes me.

And lastly, I'm within thirty minutes of the CT coast and fifty minutes of South County RI. Some of the best saltwater variety I could hope for, and so close.....this doesn't even take the Cape into consideration, but I wanna get there too sometime this fall.

There just aren't enough fishing days in the season for me to sample everything that I want. Heck, just last weekend when Adrian and I where together on a resevoir I looked around and realized that I could spend weeks just getting to know that one particular body of water. And that one body of water is just a drop in the well compared to the other opportunities out there.

Don't get me wrong....I feel very fortunate to live where I do and to have such opportunities....but I reach a point at this time of year where nearly every game in town has some good action and it comes down to making a decision.

I suppose there's worse problems to have. Anyone else out there feeling the same way about now?
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2003, 10:52 AM

Definitely a good problem to have!

I used to be torn between trout fishing and SWFF in the summer. This year the summer was so late I logged plenty of hours on the stream before the linesiders arrived in force. Perfect.

The real tear will be weather to fish the SW fall migration or the GL steelhead run in October.

Descisions, descisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2003, 11:01 PM

OPPORTUNITY

Good evening,
Dble, got in a little late on this one.....
When opportunity renders itself by "The bucketfull" a very wise teacher once told me, "Step back from opportunity, and let your focus be drawn to something else for a short time. When next you look at your opportunity, it will have more structure and balance, making the choices easier".
Just a thought on a most delightfull problem
Deerhawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Fly chucker

That's an interesting insight, and the timing is good. This past weekend had no fishing for me, and this coming weekend won't have any either due to various commitments. But I will be able to get on the water tomorrow after work, and all I have to do is listen to my heart......it says "smallmouth".

You're right, stepping back and returning usually does clear things up nicely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.