Bayside, 7/13, am - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Middle Aged Member

Bayside, 7/13, am

Walked out to post up station #1 at low tide. Ya, I missed another sunrise and the early bight judging by the people hooked up as I was just wetting the line. Hook ups seemed pretty consistent just to the east at the creek outflow. But it stopped. Hooked one fish so small I suspect it was a snapper. As the tide flooded I abandoned the station and made my way west to the area that's treated me well. Started seeing fish comin right up to the beach. Threw a fly to 3 in the wash, they fought over it but missed. Using a small bead head sandeel that worke yesterday in the fog but they didn't seem to be nailing it in the bright sun. Got to my trough and there's fish all around. After a few missed strikes decided to try a basser shrimp for kicks but that kept catching the bottom and also didn't attract any interest. Tied on a good old sand eely half and half with an up facing snagging hook and bang, nice 30" fish. After that things slowed a little. Another frustrating sightfishing day, but the one nice fish made up for the effort. Most of the fish sighted were decent size, mid 20 to mid 30". Strange absence of bait, but I think it made the fish more willing.
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Pencil me in.....

Oh, forget to tell you, basser shrimp fish better on floating line But they can also be tied with small bead chain eyes There are more fish on your way coming through the big trough this am

Last edited by jfbasser; 07-13-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2003, 04:57 AM

Nice report Fred. If someone named Kenny hears about the Basser Shrimp JBasser will be out of the Club.
FishHawk:hehe: :hehe:
Old 07-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Middle Aged Member

I really didn't give the shrimp fly a chance. As I said, I was getting a little frustrated and decided to go with a "confidence" fly. I think the shrimp may have been the ticket a week and a half ago when the flats were carpeted with sandeels but the bass seemed to be looking for something different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.