Weekend reports from around the world? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Weekend reports from around the world?

Well guys, let's hear it. We're fishermen, therefore we tell tales. Did you fish over the weekend? How'd yoo doo?

In fact it might be a nice Monday tradition!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 07:50 AM
Fly chucker

You can find my activities in the warmwater forum.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:15 AM

A boat building weekend for me. I can report the hull is on and ready for fiberglassing. It wont be long before I'm begging for a group of you to help us turn the beast over - it's upside down right now.

Gregg
Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Fluff

C'mon, Gregg - show us your lofting and rigging skills - sheaves, lines, slings - you know, the old-fashioned stuff!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Fly Fisher on the Plains

Angry How about getting shunked??

My fishing "luck" is in real bad shape. A normally wicked fishing time has for me has turned to alot of casting and not much. So here is what I've learned>
1. When the best fishing is afoot don't take your newbie freinds and relatives.
2. You know the old expression "the best time to go fishing....when ever you can" well the worst times are...after a hail storm, after a thunder storm, after a cold front....you get the picture. Now the next 4 weekends are clogged up with commiments so i might not get ant "real" fishing till the middle of August.
Just to show ya how bad things are; in the last 3 weekends I've been out 4 times at 6 different locations net result..1 9 1/2 " brookie 1 8" pike and 2 perch.
:eyecrazy:

Manitoba Fly Fishing
Old 07-07-2003, 05:31 PM

After going through the spey pages and archives I was wading the riffles of the Susquehanna river near Wrightsville, fishing streamers for smallmouth and eager to try spey casting with my 7 wt. 8.5 ft one hander. The river is too high and fast now to wade, but I had new stuff to try out so I chanced it.

Guess I need to do more than watch the videos on the spey pages. It was ugly. I gave up and went back to overhand casting, and then seemed to have forgotten how to do that.

Started to get my rhythm back and thunderheads came rolling in fast, the wind wipped up strong and, being a good 50 yds from the shore, I started shuffling back. Kept casting, hoping for one more bass, then got serious about leaving as the wind blew very strong and still building. I started moving fast . . . then took a header. Fortunately, I got back to the shore and to my pickup before the lightening and downpour hit with full force.

For some of us . . . well, at least me, fly fishing is sometimes something less than ballet or any other art form.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to fishinbyfly
I visited the Oregon coast and went surf fishing. It was my first surf fishing outing. I only got a few bites but it was a great learning experiance. I went and caught about 200 sandshrimp. Boy are they fun to catch. We bought a sandshrimp gun for 17.99 and we got about 30 dollars worth of shrimp. We ended up not even using them so I handed them over to a fellow fisherman. I went crabbing for about 3 hours, and came back with 32 crab. They were rock crab and they want any size any sex of the rock crab to be out. We got quite a few nice sized ones. It was a pretty fun weekend even though I didnt catch any fish!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Pullin' Thread

Went after steelhead on the 4th and again last evening, the 6th. Got me 2 dandies, even if they were only 6 inch smolt. Haven't seen an adult Deer Creek steelhead yet this summer. Getting lots of casting practice and river walking excercise in though.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Sponsor

Had a beautiful day on the 4th fishing a local Smallmouth stream. More info is in the Warmwater forum!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:57 PM

H'mm does fishing wires though insulated walls count? No, I didn't think so. In that case the afternoon of 7/3 I harrassed the panfish in one of my after work spots. Several sunnies and a couple of missed hits from bass.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:15 PM

July 1 on the Bow river was great, July 3-4-5 on BC/Kamloops area lake was also great, July 6 with Dana's Spey school was the highlight.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:02 AM

Thumbs up

Report from the Hood Canal just off the state of Washingtons Puget Sound. But 1st of all if anyone wants to donate about 12 or 13K to a worthy and broke middle aged fly fisherman who is broke but not hungry then please do so. Oh ya the fishing report!

Being that the reports so far that only 74 hatchery steelhead have come back to the local hatchery OC went sailing for three days on the Hood Canal. After 6 years of rebuilding a 32 foot Rhodes sloop I figure it's time to sail her anyway. This beautiful boat is why I'm broke. Sail all day and pull into some cove in the evening and drop anchor then fish for dinner with a boat rod. Yes that's right a boat rod and BAIT. As soon as my sinker would hit the bottom I would have a flounder on. The bottom must be solid flounder never had it like that back in Boston Harbor as kid fishing for flounder. Kept the 8 biggest ones and they were big then used their heads and guts for my crab pot. Would leave the pot down for a 1/2 hour and pull and on every pull I would have at least 5 crab in the pot. Let most of them go as I'm a strong believer in C&R crabing but did keep enough over the 3 day weekend to take home. Was able to take enough bounty home to eat for the week seeing there is no food in the fridge so I've suffered through sole and crab all week. It was fun fishing for food to live on, I have not done that for over 20 something years when I was a young trout bum in Montana and always broke and hungry. Made me feel young and free again in some ways.

This weekend will bring the fly rod as there has been a large hatch of some type of moth that looks just like an October Caddis. These critters fly out of the fir trees along the shoreline in the evening and flutter across the water before crashing and the sea run cutthroat just go bonkers over them. Will use some Elk hair Caddis in orange and the OC special and just strip them across the surface. Don't worry Leyland I won't poach any and will only fish for them after I fullfill my new obligation of fridge filling for the week of flounder and crab, flounder and crab.

Hope all continue to have great weekends of world wide fishing and I wish Kush would donate his Zodiak with the jet engine to my worthy cause of having a fast little boat to tow behind my sloop.
:hehe:
OC
Old 07-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

While living in WA my family and I were big time Hood Canal fans. We'd spend major holidays there some years.

You poor man, suffering through the sweet dungeness crab meat and delicate sole fillet, why don't you dig 10 pounds of butter clams to soak your sorrows or shuck a few of the pettite Hood Canal oysters I am paying thru the nose to taste again here at the new McCormick & Schmicks in downtown Boston?

Sounds like a good weekend to me, drag a bucktail behind the transom on the sail over and you'd probably get to add a fresh coho to the meal ticket.

I do miss the PNW!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 AM

Juro,

You are right the Hood Canal is just beautiful and not crowded. On a regular weekend one hardly sees a any boats except for a few pulling family crab pots. For those on the East coast the Hood Canal is sort of like the coast of Maine but not as many tourists and boats. Just so many wonderful places to anchor and enjoy the seals, bald egales, dolphins and viewing the biggest jelly fish in the world. Some of them have to be 4 or 5 feet across and have tennicles 15 to 20 feet long. It is also home to I believe the biggest octopus in the world.

Looking forward to the arrival of the Coho soon, heard that a few were caught on Friday. This weekend I believe we have a minus tide and some of the folks at the marina are going to show me how to dig Gooie Ducks. They look just like a steamer clam you get back in New England except way bigger. Last minus tide a freind dug one that weighed out at a little over 10 pounds and most were around 3 or 4 pounds. Going to need a pound of melted butter for one of those guys.

All of you are welcome if you visit this area to take a sail with us and share the riches of the NW. But we know nothing of any steelhead fishing so you don't need to ask. The invitation is open hope some of you from around the world make it out this way.
OC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.