What's a Bella Coola fly? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Recent Member

What's a Bella Coola fly?

I'm going to alaska late august early september, and when I was looking for what flies I should tye I once read about a Bella Coola.
But I can't find any picture ore tying instructions, I'm also interested in any other must have flies for this season in alaska...
Thanks for the help.
j.c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to night dancer
if I remeber right it is tied with orange glow bug yarn as a tail, cut failry short, the body is yellow chenielle ribbed with tinsel, and the wing is glowbug yarn. I dont believe there is any hackle. I could be wrong about that, but thats just how I remeber it. Its failry similar to the fly pattern "bright roe", which can be found in the kaufmann's catalog, but with a tail and different colors. Hope that helps.

Ira
Old 07-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Pullin' Thread

Night Dancer,

You are correct about the Bella Coola fly. It has no hackle and the glo bug yarn wing is the same color as the tail, either bright "steelhead orange" or "flame". Prior to the invention of Glo Bug Yarn, it was tied with florescent dyed calf tail for the tail and wing. It is sometimes tied with a yellow yarn body that is often florescent yellow.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Recent Member

Thanks a lot for the help...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.