Backing Replacement - How Often - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Middle Aged Member

Backing Replacement - How Often

Normally, I'm mildly anal about leaders and so forth but I guess I have been a little lax this year, just haven't got into it with all this crappy weather and crappy life issues. I bought a bunch of fresh leader material back in the beginning of May but hadn't done anything with it. Failures started when I broke off a hung up fly with mild pressure. Tied on a new fly and a couple of hours later dropped a nice fish at my feet with a brittle fracture at the hook eye, knot still in tact. Then last Saturday morning I'm walking down the beach blind casting and I notice my fly's gone. Line broke in the butt at the loop knot.

Anyhow, it's mid June and time to get a little serious and make sure all the links are up to snuff. I did get to see a little backing last Saturday and got to thinking. What's a reasonable life for Micron saltwater backing? I've got a couple of spools with 3 seasons. Assuming visual inspection says it looks ok should I be concerned about breakdown of the material?
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 07:35 AM
Pencil me in.....

Fred, I believe that the Micron will last a lifetime! At least our lifetime. A sidenote...I had a few hangups the other day and I am breaking Daiichi saltwater hooks at the bend with less than 20 # of pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Middle Aged Member

Just to clarify, the hook didn't break, the tippet did where it was looped around the hookeye. I don't know about how the hook manufactures process hooks after chemically sharpening but I've thought about throwing the on a cookie sheet and baking at 300 -400F to counter the possibility of hydrogen embrittlement.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fred -

I have backing that is getting moldy, don't remember what year it was loaded on but I haven't replaced it yet. I was thinking about dying it in Rit dye for aesthetics or giving it a mild chlorine bath but it's still very strong and I'd just as soon keep the stuff out of the environment and on my reel. I suppose if it snaps I will replace it. I think it's lifetime is several decades.

jfb -

I fish the thin wire TMC 811s and never seem to break them... but I fish in almost pure sand situations, just curious are you guys fishing in rocks?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Flats Rat

Different subject

Fred

Tried to PM you but your box is full.

You are going to need to rig a whole set of new leaders for the big fish we'll be chasing with Capt. Todd next week - I expect you'll be seeing quite a bit of your backing too.

Hope you can still make it.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Pencil me in.....

Juro,
I was fishing the drop off into the channel at South Beach with a sink tip and getting hung occasionally with what seemed to be mungy stuff (deep weed?). This was with a new Daichi SW hook with first half hour use. At one point it got hung pretty good and I straightlined it and it came back broken at the bend.

Your point about light wire is interesting. Over about the past ten years of largemouth tourney fishing I have used light wire Owners and Gammis and have never had problems with broken hooks.. Maybe the heavier wire hooks have to be processed differently for chem sharpening. I have had no problems with cheap Eagle Claws on my salt streamers.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Middle Aged Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stop worrying about the backing.

Adrian, I cleaned out my pm box a bit. I'm looking forward to the 19th.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:14 PM

Juro -

DON'T use bleach on backing. It actually attacks and degrades the fabric. Just test it (tie it to a tree and pull) - as long as there are no weak spots, clean it in water and a little detergent, wipe it down, and don't worry about it.

If you detect weak spots, invest in new backing.

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.