Now this could be 'interesting stuff' for night fishing or - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2003, 09:45 AM

Now this could be 'interesting stuff' for night fishing or

http://www.proglow.com/

use in coloured water with a very bright basic fly pattern.
fae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Salmo Scout

Glow

fae
Did you ever use this stuff? Spring run off, deep and slow.....
Old 07-24-2003, 06:51 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Fred??????

Didn't I ever send you my glow in the dark flies???? I have some strictly for late night fishing (if one does that) and some I add in to the mix. Pretty good flies. Plus can be used during the day, and adds nice internal light to the silhouette when fishing as the sun goes down. I'll send you some with the fly swap (man, I should be writing down orders for all the extra flies I'm tying )

But, work great, you may like them.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:26 PM

ST/Jcc the answer is yes to both questions.

Only "added feature" to these materials would be very 'stained' waters or very early/late in the day. No apparent effect on Mr. Steelhead To You!, but it did catch Mr. Fall Salmon's attention very late in the day.

Very interesting stuff to tie with but, candidily, not sure if it really brings anything to the party if your fishing clear water conditions.
I will use white rubber legs in some black patterns for late day use, and it does seem to bring something to the party. But not during regular day light hours.
fae
Old 07-24-2003, 10:39 PM

Hey, Fred...

What fly tying material is THIS stuff used in. I can only understand the phosphorescent material being used in plastics or some other manufactured material. I'm not aware of any - except the older, lower powered materials.

My question, very simply, is what materials is "proglow" put in that is a fly tying material??

Many, many years ago, I fished Catherine Creek, when it was prime water in the east for lake-run rainbows, with my buddy who lived close by. He made up some "Moonglow" marble-sized chunks of plastic (yellowish-green, it glowed slightly in the dark when exposed to light) in his kids' old "Thingmaker" (a kid's casting/molding kit for children). This was about in the mid-60s.

That was the answer that day in the muddy water - we had GREAT success, and my old glass flyrod was bent double most of the day. My old Pflueger reel got a good workout that day, too.

One guy was a pain in the butt - he stood downstream, in the middle of the stream, and wouldn't move whenever anyone had a fish on. After I lost two due to him standing there (they ran downstream around his legs, but he wouldn't budge), I hooked another, and it ran right between his legs. I yanked up violently on the rod, and the line snapped up in the vicinity of his "family jewels". Man, did he move then, and took a good flop in the snowmelt water! Cost me a good fish, but everyone had a good laugh! He came up spitting water, and coughing, and said, indignantly, "What did you do that for?" My response to him is unprintable, and I made some "unkind remarks about the marital status of his parents" as he stomped off to his car, and everyone streamside was roaring. Fishing improved for all after he left! :hehe: :hehe:

So I am a believer - it works well under the right conditions!

BobK
Old 07-25-2003, 12:10 AM

Bob, I don't have any problem believeing every..

word of the following:

"Cost me a good fish, but everyone had a good laugh! He came up spitting water, and coughing, and said, indignantly, "What did you do that for?" My response to him is unprintable, and I made some "unkind remarks about the marital status of his parents" as he stomped off to his car, and everyone streamside was roaring. Fishing improved for all after he left."

Some folks are far thicker than a brick between the ears. And "he's " probably still clueless today. Acron falling from the tree thing here.

But to your question: don't know the answer to your specific question, but science keeps coming up with more interesting things everyday. If zooplankton can do it, why not us?

fae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.