Everyone's eventual problem: wader leaks. Yuck. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2003, 05:46 PM

Angry Everyone's eventual problem: wader leaks. Yuck.

My old (and I do mean old) Dan B's breathables now have their share of tiny punctures created by (I think all anyway) the points of very small errent fly hook points.

Casting about for a 'cure' on a simple way to find the hole and came across one post that recommended turning the waders inside out and lightly spraying them with rubbing alcohol. (Another way mentioned was to use a cotton swab/ball and dab about if you know the general location of the leak.)

Apparently the alcohol will evaporate at a faster pace where there's a leak and the area turns dark. Mark same, and patch. General recommendation was to use Aquaseal to patch the pin hole WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SIMM'S waders. Apparently useing Aquaseal will void the warrenty. Wonder why?

Any other fun tricks out there to find that tiny pin prick?
fae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Fred-
If you have a backup pair of waders, you could always send them back to Bailey's as their customer service is second to none!!

The alchool trick works GREAT with Gore-tex but I have never tried it on a treated product such as the Bailey's, Patagonia etc.

Another trick that works really well is to take your waders into a dark closest or bathroom with a flashlight and run the flashlight along the suspected areas. Light will shine through where your pinholes are.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

The flashlight trick Ryan mentioned is one of the best and easiest ways to find them.

Another even faster way to find them is by doing what folks do to find small leaks in tire inner tubes. Put a little bit of dish detergent in the bath tub, a large basin, or some other suitable large vessel. Then gather up the waders by the top, hold the top closed and then place the waders into the soapy water. Any leaks will be shown instantly with a stream of bubbles. All you need do then is mark the holes, followed by drying and patching them with a dab of Aquaseal, SA's wader repair, or Loon Suncure.

I've used both of these methods for many years. By the way, I wear my breathable waders as long as I used to wear nylon lightweights. In other words, until the fabric startw to tear from age.

Neoprenes don't last nearly as long for me. It seems the stretching of the neoprene causes it to break down or fatigue and then seams to loose the ability to stay together after a couple years of wear. And even with using Aquaseal etc. on the seams to hold them together, the neoprene starts to split just beyond the seam repair.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:30 PM

Ryan/FT the article mentioned above noted both

of these methods; but both seem like a bit of a pain in the butt ... unless you've got 'large holes' which these arn't. Suspect all were the result of the point of a #10-12 fly going ying, when they should have gone yang on a cast.

Like the tip of the finest needle.

Sheesh.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Mod

Fred-
Call Bailey's first thing in the morning...they will take good care of you!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:56 PM

Ryan, do you have their phone number?

fredaevans@ashlandoregon.org

tnx
fae
Old 07-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

I have found the soapy water method very effective for finding those little hook point holes, or blackberry and salmonberry briar pin pricks for that matter. The flashlight method is also very effective; but it is much more tedious than the soapy water.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:08 AM

FT, time right now I've got.

A tub of soapy water it is tomorrow ... after I come back from the river.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

Now that you are no longer with the bank, you can find more rods that you simply must have. Or at least you will be able to use the ones you have to advantage. And I agree, wader repair should never interfere with fishing time.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Mod

....plus, when you walk out of the closest with a pair of waders after spending 15 minutes or so in there with 'em, Joan may begin wonder!!

..."Fred dear, is there something you want to tell me???"... :hehe:
Old 07-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Pullin' Thread

Ryan,

Only if he is wearing them when he exits the closet.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:57 AM

Closet easy, blow up legs not

I have had the same problem recently with my Simms Guides. I read the instructions about rubbing alcohol, we do not have rubbing alcohol in Scotland, drinking yes rubbing no. Its correct name is iso propyl alcohol. Simms Uk recommend this method, but no success.

I then blew the waders up with a compressor in the garage and popped them in a barrel of water, now if anyone had come in and seen me wrestling with these inflateable legs and a barrel: Fred explaining the waders and the closet would be a piece of cake.

Sanity returned and I sent the waders to Simms UK and they dignosed mutipin holes from THISTLES I have not decided whether they are making fun of our national symbol a bit like telling you they are caused by eagles pecking.

Cost of professional repair is less than cost of new guides but this is peak grilse season and , the cost of spare pair of Freestone Waders have added considerably to the bill. I may go for end of season proffesional maintenance from now on. The skin on my foot has started to grow back, it is amazing how soft it goes when soaked in water for a week

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk

Last edited by Willie Gunn; 07-03-2003 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:48 PM
JD

Wader repairs

My waders are also back to Simms for repair. New feet retape the seams, fix all the pin hole leaks =$75. Not too bad considering I've had these things about four years.

I found out though that Simms only warrenties their waders for two years. And the guy at the fly shop says "wow how old are these? they look like they have really been put to hard use" Duh,,,They are the "guide model" waders. One would assume a guide would be in them all day long seven days a week for the better part of the year(s). I guide I am not. And I was lucky if I got I day a week to fish before I retired.

But now that I am retired & can fish more often, and money being what it is, and new "Guide Model" waders costing what they do, And only being warrentied for two years, I doubt they will get replaced with the latest , greatest, top of the line, most expensive "Guide Models" the next time.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:29 PM

..."Fred dear, is there something you want to tell me???"...

Well, being a rather "Randy" Canadian fellow, I'd probably say "yes, please come into the closet ... I've got something to show you ....."

Malcom, too bad you're on the other side of the Pond; I would have paid money for the ticket to watch that bit of work.
:>)

Should have noted: reasonable morning on the Rogue. One king, who took over a 100 foot of line/backing on his first run ... ya, he eventually popped 15# maxima main line leader ... and one small steelhead. The 'treat' though was where I hooked/released the steelhead was loaded with large trout too. First time I've hooked a trout in the main body of the river with considerable size to them. After the first couple (on the 13-9 Burkie) popped back to the car and pulled out my new Meiser switch rod and went after them with that. Now that was fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 07-03-2003 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:32 PM

I would have

enjoyed seeing it, too! The only thing that can top trying to wrestle with air filled waders in a tub or big sink is the "old way".

I once watched a buddy, after I warned him not to, go into his basement, hang a pair of waders by the suspenders on a 16-penny nail in the rafters, and fill 'em up with water. "This always works", he told me. I tried to explain the pitfalls, but he picked up the hose and started filling.

That turkey kept filling 'em even though they started to sag, and kept filling "because the leak was somewhere in the crotch" until the nail pulled out, flooding the floor with water. We were in high school then, and were his parents upset! Fortunately, his dad heard me trying to talk him out of it, or I would have caught hell, too!

This buddy had several other escapades in his basement, especially trying to target shoot his .22 pistol when he "accidentally" shot the gas main and meter, but that's another long story of his misspent youth which involved the gas company, Fire Department, and various government agencies!

I ran out of a regular series of laughs when he moved away - and I can't really say I'm especially sorry about that.

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.