Tube fly Material from Napa Auto Parts - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Mr. Mom

Tube fly Material from Napa Auto Parts

Well, I've been frustrated trying to find good material, and after Kush described the black air brake tubing He's using I decided to just push hard until I got through to the guy behind the counter. Well, I finally broke through!

It is manufactured by Phillips and it is part number 11-125, 1/8" J-844 Nylon tubing. The reason I haven't ever been able to get it is that apparently 1/8th inch is not very popular so they've never had it in stock. They ordered it for me, and I am now the proud owner of 100 feet of the stuff for $11.

Kush is right, it is awesome to tie on, but you will have to weight it or slide a bead on your leader if you want to grease line it or it will plane up under very little tension, which is a problem that exists with commercial plastic tubes too. It holds a size 4 or 6 hook like a dream!

Thanks Kush, and I hope this helps somebody else who's been having trouble finding good material.
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Recent Member

airline

In truck shop talk , 1/8" air line is called "spagetti line" don't screww with the auto parts store , go right to Kenworth , Freightliner and the such they will have megga in stock . it is used for air shift controlls . Later Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2003, 12:34 AM

tubing

I have on occasions been able to get a white or clear version, and black. The black also comes in 1/4 inch. If you heat it gently over the buner of a gas stove and stretch it, you can get most of the coil out of it. I prefer the white/clear since it is slightly more flexible and it is easier to get the eye of a hook into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.