Beginner Reel Advice - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Recent Member

Beginner Reel Advice

Hi Guys,

I'm finally ready to make the plunge into flyfishing, and I'd like advice on getting my first reel.

My Background

I've been "regular" fishing for years, spinning and bait fishing from my canoe and from the shore.

My Waters

I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of Big Lagoon in northern California. Within an hour's drive are Stone Lagoon, Freshwater Lagoon, Redwood Creek, The Klamath, Mad River, and Little River. I also fish in the ocean and Trinidad Harbor.

Here's my canoe in the Klamath:

My Rod

I bought a fly rod for $10 at a garage sale. Before you laugh, it's an older rod which a visiting experienced flyfisherman pronounced as "not bad at all" and good for a beginner. Apparently hand built, here's a picture:

"Rainbow No. R 2130" and "Custom Deluxe 2???" was written on it by the maker. It is 8' 6" long, and weighs five ounces.

Reels To Choose From

I'd really like to spend under $30 for a reel. I'm quite sure I be flyfishing for years, and would like to buy one that I'll continue to be happy with, but I'm cheap. So I could either get one at a local store, or buy one on Ebay.

I'd like advice on exact model numbers of a reel that you'd recommend for me. For example, some of the models that are on Ebay right now:

PFLUEGER medalist1494AK
South Bend Finalist
South Bend Silver
Eagle Claw Model 1010
Fin Nor Fin-ite
Fin-nor Fini 45CL
Martin 61

Looking forward to your advice. Thanks!!

Last edited by Lagoon Al; 06-30-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2003, 10:45 AM

buy a pfleuger from your local store. It's a classic reel good for regular size trout, and patronizing your local shop will help you get decent info and service from them. good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.