Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sinking line- shooting head or full length?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Geoff 
#1 ·
hi guys,

i'm just looking to get a new line for some fishing where I will need a sinking line for fishing deep channels from shore. Not ever having used a shooting head system previously I was wondering if any of you could help enlighten me on making the choice between a shooting head and a full length sinking line. I think the main question I have is with regard to ease of use. Also- for shooting heads, what kind of running line is recommended and does anyone use heavy mono for the purpose? Since I probably won't use this line all that often would the the less expensive shooting head be a good option?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Geoff

#4 ·
Depending on your rod action, either the new Cortland 555 Quick Descent or the Rio 26' Deep Sea Density Comp. 350 grain striper line would be great choices.

Most believe it's best to get an intermediate running line permanently attached to the sinking head portion because the intermediate line slices waves better than a floating running line for straight on retrieving. A floater mends and manages better when swinging in currents, so I guess out there it's kind of a wash either way - but you only do a few rip trips, while the intermediate advantage applies to a multitude of situations thru the season. It's the better buy overall IMHO.

On the rip trip you won't use anything else but that line most likely, but for general striper fishing elsewhere you'll also do well to have a clear intermediate line as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.