Fish are in their Summer Mode - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2003, 08:39 AM

Fish are in their Summer Mode

Arrived at Larry's PX at 5.00am. Had the usual which the cook managed to get right . Listened to the regulars and their morning banter. My plan was to fish the light and be on the Cape before the hords of sunworshiping tourits decended for the first sunny weekend. Meet Fred A at the parking lot and we decided to fish Morris Island. We split up and I managed one small schoolie on a small Chartreuse and White Clouser. Fred came back and he reported that he got a flounder for all his effort. Spoke to Kieth on the way out who said that the fishing was slow and they had swithched to inverterbrates. Shrimp flies. Took the yak and fished my secret island and managed one fiesty schoolies which made the long drive worth while. Off the Cape by 2:00 pm. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday. To quote Fred"Time to switch to the olive flies." Fishhawk
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Middle Aged Member

Olive and tan's I think I said. Flounder was a first for me on the fly. Did have some fish break in front of me on the way back and saw/spooked a nice fish close to me, but it was dead in general. Good to see Fishhawk.

Went for a paddle with the Mrs. in the afternoon and had another first, schoolie and blue from the yak. I was using a beater spinning rod I bought a couple of weeks ago. Question for the masses. On casting any hitch would result in a god awful rats nest. I think I want to relace the line Goose Hummock put on (Trilene 12# I think, though I don't know which one). Any suggestions for line and reducing the tangling? Something with less stretch?
Old 06-29-2003, 04:50 PM

The reason you are getting the snarls is probably due to the fact that the spool is too full. Eventually you will stop getting the snarls when you cut enough of the line off.

You might try Fireline for less stretch and longer casting. It wears a lot better than mono also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Middle Aged Member

Mike, I'm sure your right and it was obvious that the spool was chock full. We did the same paddle today and I brought the spinning rod, after removing some of the line. Also tied on a swivel. Caught a bunch of schoolies (yawn) without any tangling. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Pencil me in.....

Spinning Reel Line Control

Just before your lure hits the water approach the spool with an open left hand and slightly close it to feather the line to a stop. Then close the bail by hand and tension the line against the bail roller by pulling line toward the rod tip with the left hand's thumb and forefinger. The above can be accomplished with one smooth motion with practice. This eliminates any initial lose wraps against the spool. Gee, maybe a Penn Squidda will be next?

Last edited by jfbasser; 06-29-2003 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:21 AM
Middle Aged Member

"Penn Squider" eh. No, not at this point. I bought the rod to have on hand for nephews, nieces, daughter, etc. Of course the tangling would have been unacceptable, no fun for the kids and a pain in the butt for me.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Pencil me in.....

That must mean that you are leaving the spinner behind for the Riptrip. Speaking of the trip and your experience on SM are you bringing two rods and two separate sinking lines for backup? I have a 325 and a 400 spooled up and was thinking of bringing both along with a floater of course
Old 06-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Middle Aged Member

Just the ten wgt. with intermediate, 325 and 425 QD's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.