tarpon on! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2000, 01:26 AM

tarpon on!

I just got back from fishing with Capt.Duane Baker, in Isla Morada, last week. In 5 days I boated one tarpon and jumped 3. This was all on the first day. The folowing days drew follows, but not even a nibble. Tough fishing, the usual 15 knot head wind combined with big puffy clouds overhead and in the foreground. "Tarpon, 3:00. 30' cast now!". I had a great time and can't wait to go back next year.
The fish I caught was about 50# and it jumped at least 6 times. I fought it hard and we had the leader in about 10 min. Duane knew this was the first one that I had caught and asked if I wanted a picture. I held it by the lower jaw and hoisted it out of the water. As he framed the picture, the fish floped out of my hand and slamed against the gunnel. We got it back in the boat, took the picture and revived the fish. It swam away strongly.
Back on the bow I thought I saw another tarpon about fifteen minutes later, but it was an 8' shark. "Probably looking for your buddy." Capt. Duane said as I looked down into the water and saw a dead tarpon on the bottom. My heart sank.
"I guesse I can't be too smug about catch and release."I said, and Duane pointed out that it was an accident. It was, but that seems to make it worse. When he asked if I wanted the picture, I could tell that he would just as soon leave the fish in the water. I felt odd about wanting a picture(how simple!), but it was such a happy moment.Well now I've got my picture. No more tarpon in the boat for me.
Old 06-25-2000, 07:19 AM

RE:tarpon on!

Great job Eddie on the poon, now your hooked. I know I was after my first one there is nothing like tarpon fishing. Eddie I have fished with Duane and a lot of guides in Fla,and Duane is without a doubt one of the top guides in the Keys and a very hard worker.
Congratulations
John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2000, 11:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Could one of you guys give me Duane's contact info? I gotta get me some

Not sure when I can get down there again but it's never to early to start planning.
Old 06-25-2000, 08:10 PM

Juro, Capt.Duane Baker is an Orvis endorsed guide.You can get his # out of the catalogue. There aren't many guides that I have booked twice. He's one of the best. Eddie
Old 06-28-2000, 09:56 AM

Congratulations on the tarpon Eddie! Like John said, now YOUR hooked.

I understand your feelings on killing the fish but don't beat yourself up too much, you had the right intentions which is a lot more than other "sportsmen" can say.

Roop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.