Wading Boots?? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 06:32 PM
LBFF Mojo

Wading Boots??

OK I got the waders, now I need some new boots. The ones I have are about 3 years old and the felt is now slicker than the rocks. Took a dump in the sky the other day and figure it is time to get some new boots. Replacing the felt is no really an option and it is time for some good boots.

What do you all reccomend???

-sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2003, 09:01 PM

Location: Stilly,Sky,And anything that flows into Puget sound
Well if I had my choice I would get some with felt and studs. I have some but they are the cheaper priced one's as they are in my price range. They are the ones by Hodgman. I haven't taken a spill as of yet with them and they are holding up fine. But if I was to walk on Ice I would probably go skating as the studs stick out a little. Also good for rock climbing.

Jim
Old 06-28-2003, 02:11 AM

Thumbs up

I am a BIG fan of the Simms Guide boots and would buy them over any other.I currently use their discontinued model though as I got several pairs at a rediculous blow out price(brand new at $39/pair) when they were "updated" recently and I have been VERY happy with them.I only wish I had bought a few more pairs for that price.They are extremely well made and unbelievably comfortable.The older models were full leather while the newer ones have been changed to cut down on the "shrink factor" I believe that leather often goes through when drying.Personally I would be very happy with either the new or old pair.

I like felt soles,but would get them with spikes if available.The Aquastealth soles are interesting and probably great for hiking in or fishing from a boat,but I've heard alot of mixed reviews on them from some reputable shops saying that they are only good for the less slippery rivers,which we don't have alot of here in BC.If I were getting Aquastealth soles I would DEFINATELY get them with spikes.

I've also heard alot of good things about Chota boots,especially regarding their comfort factor.Those would be worth looking at as well.

I have a pair of Hodgeman boots that I bought for my Dad around the same time as my Simms(I actually paid MORE for the Hodgemans than the Simms at the time).I have used my Simms 20 times as much as my Dad has used his Hodgemans and my Simms haven't shown any wear at all(other than slightly thinner felt) whereas the Hodgemans are now falling apart.I think that there is definately a difference in quality between them and it is worth spending the extra money for a pair that will last,like the Simms Guide.There are also the odd discontinued,all leather pair around every now and then on EBay or in some flyshops old inventory.You have to search the net a bit for them but you might find a pair for less than 1/2 the original retail.They are GREAT boots and if you can find them cheap,as I did,they are worth grabbing.I'm sure the new models are equally great,though more money.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:38 AM

IMHO you cannot go wrong with the Weinbrenner Ultimate Wading shoe, all models of which you can view at:
http://www.wadingshoes.com/

They are priced comparably to Simms, BUT you can call the factory store and might be able to get a pair at a substantial discount. The people there are extremely friendly and very helpful.

I had a pair of the "Original" model -- worn in both fresh and salt water -- that is still going strong. All that ever had to be replaced wear the shoelaces. I have a new pair of the "Propex" model which appear to be indestructible. Great fit and support, with plenty of room to let my toes wiggle, even with heavy socks and neoprene feet.

You most likely will never have to use their customer service department, but I understand that it is excellent. If you ever need resoling, the company will do it for a reasonable charge (also shown on the website).

I really like these shoes and this company.

In case you were wondering, I am just a happy customer with no relation to the company.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:03 AM
JD

Chota's win,

Hands down the best boot I've ever had. Got the (black) felt soles with cleates. Easy on and off, comfortable, wear like iron. Only thing I can think of is some die hard extream waders prefer a higher boot.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:43 PM
FFF CCI

I'll second the Chota STL's. Great boots with wonderful to use lace system.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:29 AM

I would recomend wearing them all. Go to as many shops as you can, with your waders and the socks you like to wear (bring a few different pairs to customise fit) and try them on. The best boots are the ones that are comfortable. They all fit differently. Even different models from the same company.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
I would recomend wearing them all. Go to as many shops as you can, with your waders and the socks you like to wear (bring a few different pairs to customise fit) and try them on. The best boots are the ones that are comfortable. They all fit differently. Even different models from the same company.
I agree in principle, but as someone else pointed out, there may
be a very big difference once the boots have been thoroughly
soaked. I have a pair that is fine when thoroughly wet but is a
pain (literally) until then, which means that a good hike before
getting to water is not fun. So I would pay attention to that
aspect of other peoples' anecdotes.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:23 AM

they are expensive, but I sure like my Patagonia wading shoes. Light and comfortable in the water and out, with waders and without.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
IMHO...the Patagonia Beefy's are by far the most comfortable wading boot you will ever step into!!...especially if you have duck feet like myself (they are cut like a box).

My biggest complaint with the Patagonia boots is they are not nearly as well built as say the Simms Guide Boots. The Simms are very comfortable expecially if you have normal feet unlike myself and are absolutely bullet proof.

My Beefy's have already been back to Patagonia Customer Service Dept (after only 2 weeks of use)....they kindly replaced them but the replaced pair is looking like they are ready to implode yet I have only have 8 months or so on them. ...but because they are by far the most comfortable boots out there, I deal with that minor problem and thank God Patagonia has such a great warranty service program. One little note...I tend to put my fishing gear through Hell in back many times over in short periods of time (if it takes me 6 months for me to blow through a pair of waders...that pair will last the average fishermen 3 years)

I never ever had to send back a pair of Guide Boots for warranty service...you will have them for many years to come!!!

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 06-30-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:45 PM

I have a pair of Sims Guide Boots with the aquastealth and studs. They are extremely well built but kinda heavy. Great traction but I would not do the a'stealth without the studs.

For regular work I have a pair of patagonia's and they sure are light and comfortable.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:07 PM

I have a pair of Bean's River Treads, and they're remarkably comfortable. This is my first season with them, so I can't say too much about durability, but they look like they'll wear well, and if not there's always the famous Bean's guarantee.

They come with aquastealth soles, studs are optional. Mine aren't studded, as I prefer Korkers if I'm venturing out onto the slick stuff.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:15 PM

Re: Chota's win, With one exception??

Quote:
Originally posted by JDJones
Hands down the best boot I've ever had. Got the (black) felt soles with cleates. Easy on and off, comfortable, wear like iron. Only thing I can think of is some die hard extream waders prefer a higher boot.
Just got back from several days on the North Umpqua, most of the fishing was in the area of Susan Creek Campground. (Only way they could improve that place would be to provide room service! )

Not sure what the 'rock bottom' was in this area but most are fairly large, well rounded and absolutly impervious to studded bottom boots (no moss, etc.). Actually 'dumped' twice just walking on the beach~!!

This may be the only place I've ever fished where a straight felt bottom boot may be the order (saftey wise) of the day.
fae
Old 06-30-2003, 04:22 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Talking

Fred, You must have found the only place on the N Umpqua where felts would be preferable to studs. Even though I live in NY, I consider the NU my home steelhead stream. Personally, I won't fish it without studs.
bill
Old 06-30-2003, 04:27 PM

Wading shoes

I use a pair of Danner boots with felt and ceramic studs that Orvis marketed about five years ago. Great comfort but I bought a size 13 for my size 11 foot. They lace up with good support, and the ceramic studs are wearing well after 5 yrs. I just got back from B.C. and didn't take a single swim. Another amazing
"feet."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.