Where to live to be a steelhead bum - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 04:01 PM

Where to live to be a steelhead bum

OK so it is Friday and I could really care less about work. So I was thinking if I were a steelheader full time where would I live.

So lets here where everyone would live? Or to be a true steelhead bum can you limit yourself to one river.

Mine is a no brainer if I were a steelhead bum I would live on the North Umpqua. Near Glide, Idleyld Park Oregon.

lets have some fun.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Junkyard Spey

I don't know about "steelhead bum". How about "fishing bum" or as my wife sometimes thinks just plain "BUM". The Clearwater is my river of choice. If the engine dies once pulling out of the driveway I'm about 60 seconds from the "Peck Hole" and I'm about 3 or 4 minutes from what I call "Poppy's Riffle". This is where I'm spending whatever time I have left. Take care, MJC
Old 06-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I know only 1 steelhead bum and he lives in Silvana. Go figure.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:57 PM

How about Terrace or Smithers BC.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:33 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Oh, probably have to be along the White River in Arkansas. Or the Southern Mississippi around Baton Rogue. Don't tell everyone.

mmm
Old 06-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Junkyard Spey

You got the turn styles installed down there yet?:hehe:
Old 06-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Nah, we abandoned that plan after rumours circulated that we would be tarred and feathered if we showed up. The crew simply deserted overnight.

mmm
Old 06-27-2003, 08:49 PM

Location: Stilly,Sky,And anything that flows into Puget sound
Mean Mr Mustard: This thread is about being a steelhead bum. how can you be a steelhead bum living in Arkansas or in Southern Mississippi. They don't even know what a steelhead looks like

Jim

P.S. I forgot to add that my river of choice would be the N/F Stilly.

Last edited by Just me; 06-27-2003 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Right, the N/F Stilly. Wasn't that the scene of last year's Smolt Tournaments?

mmm
Old 06-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
It's An Easy Choice!!

No Permanent Place of Residence
Old 06-28-2003, 01:49 AM

Thumbs up

I can't imagine anywhere in the world with more to offer in both quality and quantity of steelheading oportunities than Terrace,BC,Canada.

Smithers,BC would be a close second and near some of the most famous rivers for world record summer run fish(like the Kispiox,Bulkley,and Babine),but Terrace has better access to winter fish and is only a hour or two from both Prince Rupert(ocean fishing) and the Nass system(another pristine,less pressured steelheading wilderness) as well.

Dozens of world class rivers within 1/2 a days drive/boat/plane on both the Skeena and Nass systems.There is only a couple of months out of the year when steelies aren't available in good numbers and that is prime time for monster chinook so it's not like one would be bored.LOL.The salmon runs are all enormous and the trout fishery is virtually un touched up there(no one wastes their time fishing for trout with so many salmon and steelies around).

If you want to be a true year' round steelhead bum Terrace,BC is THE place.

Last edited by tonyd; 06-28-2003 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:07 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Yup, BWO and tonyd are right - its a lead-pipe cinch, take all the other spots just mentioned - roll them into one and you would still leave it to live in the land of a million fish - Terrace.

I hate to put others dream spots to shame - but ... get serious - where have the Bob Yorks of legend spent their time? 'Nuff said.

Still Living Large!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:51 AM

Of course

Oso or Smithers, all the books and videos say so.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:12 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The Definition of 'Bum'

So the question is..."What sort of Steelhead Bum would you want to be?" :hehe:

Bum
n.

1)A tramp; a vagrant.

2)A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.

3)An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.

4)One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

I was going to make some mention of definition number 1 and how a certain someone (a favorite person of mine) fits that sort of 'steelhead bum' but I will be good!
Old 06-29-2003, 07:49 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
LOL

First off, I'd have some sort of homebase if I was a "steelhead bum". But it wouldn't be in BC. I've heard about the taxes up there are quite expensive. I know alot of times I'll head into the shops and tell them (I'm an American) and I get knocked down the tax. But, I assume if you go in EVERYDAY they'll raise an eyebrow and hit you with the full tax. Kush or someone up in BC can possibly verify. Haven't fished up in BC for, my God, 10 years. So things may have changed.

Personally, I'd live on the Olympic Peninsula. I'd homebase somewhere near Allen if I planned to fish most of western WA or BC and Forks if I only planned to fish the OP and BC. Plus, property is much cheaper for my small cabin/trailer that's gonna sit while I'm gone most of the time.

I wouldn't be a vagrant though. I'd find a way to either sell my flies on the river, or sell to shops. That way I can tie in the off hours and fish the rest of the time. Heck, I'd even make a "fish with me" guide service. I'm going fishing, so you can pay a small fee to fish WITH me. Get deals on gear and boats thanks to guide license, then take guys with you who'll pay for your trip. I would put disclaimer "I'm not out to put you into fish, I'm offering free seats in my boat. "

:hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.