Joseph Bates, Jr author/tyer - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 02:50 PM
"chicks dig scars"

Joseph Bates, Jr author/tyer

Gentlemen,

recently found a book that was my great grandfather's titled "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" by Joseph Bates. It is quite possibly the most comprehensive book on streamers that i have come across yet. I am not familiar with Mr Bates except for this one publication. Is there any info you fellas can provide about Mr. Bates, his life, his tying styles, his contributions to the sport, etc.? Any inof would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Sponsor

You know I've personally not really heard much about him. I do know that he has written at least 9 (maybe more) books. It seems like he wrote alot about Atlantic Salmon so that might be what I haven't heard about him much.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Fluff

"Art of the Atlantic Salmon Fly", etc., - This might be a good sit-down and rest your ankle in front of the computer, Chris.

Joseph D. Bates (browse value on Google, et al)
Old 06-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fishing Atlantic Salmon - the flies and patterns

This is to me what Combs book was to steelhead. The two are cherished gifts I got for Father's Days from the family, really the top books on the topic.

Check out the work of the Elementary Principal from Forks WA! Mr.Glasso was Bates' pen pal / swap buddy!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:07 PM

Joe Bates

Joe Bates was a prolific writer. I believe he took over for Ray Bergman as Angling Editor of Outdoor Life for a few years - but I could be mistaken. Anyway, he wrote some fine books on the sport in general, and many specifically on steelhead, some on Atlantic Salmon, and did a lot of fishing in South America when that was just starting up.

BobK
Old 06-28-2003, 02:20 PM
"chicks dig scars"

thanks fellas. i knew if anyone could tell me, it would be you guys. Saved me from a long, tiring search on the net. I appreciate it
Old 06-29-2003, 09:40 AM

Streamer Fly tying and fishing

If this Bates book is old enough and in good conditin it could be worth some money not a lot but something to a collector. I think it was the first really comprehensive book on streamers published.
mark
Old 06-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Pullin' Thread

Fishheadfred,

Col. Bates's book an streamers, which is the one you referenced, was in its time the "bible" on streamers. Col. Bates was not much of a fly tyer, as can be seen when you look at photos of flies he tied; however, he was a historian of streamer flies and fishing and Atlantic Salmon flies and fishing.

Longrod,

You are correct, it was the first comprehensive book on streamers, streamer patterns, and streamer fishing.

Fishheadfred,

The book you got was updated and reissued about 4 or 5 years ago with the help of his daughter Pamela (who also was involved in the issuance of his FISHING ATLANTIC SALMON: FLIES AND PATTERNS). The new edition contains material not found in the original book on streamers (which I think was first publishied in the 1960's, my father, age 77, has my first edition copy of the book).

Col. Bates contributed articles at times to several magazines; however, he was never the fishing editor of any. Joe Brooks became the fishing editor after Bergman retired. Col. Bates was an Atlantic Salmon fisherman who used streamers for landlocked atlantics in his beloved New England states. He was also a collector of Atlantic Salmon flies and Streamer flies.

I believe it was Ted Niedemeyer who introduced Col. Bates to the work of Glasso. Anyway, after Col. Bates saw his first Glasso fly, he went about corresponding with Glasso and traded rare materials and hooks for flies from Glasso. I'm not sure if teh colonel and Glasso ever met; but I don't think they ever saw each other and only had a relationship based on correspondence.

As far as I know, Glasso never sold any of his flies, he simply gave them away to people he met on stream, to friends, to those who provided rare materials to him, etc. I have seen several framed spey and full-dressed featherwings that Glasso tied, framed, and signed, which he gave to his mechanic and his wife in Forks, WA as little thank you's for keeping his 1956 Porche running. Alec Jackson also has a selection of Glasso flies and Alec was a friend of Glasso's after Syd moved to the Seattle area upon retiring from educaiton.

Col. Bates was also a friend of other well-known and celebrated dressers of full-dressed feather wings.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:22 PM
"chicks dig scars"

flytyer,

thanks for the info. it was appreciated, but the editon i have is not a re-issue, it is an actual first edition ( as i found when i took a spare minute to check). at any rate, i found it to be a most interesting read and will make an effort to check out of Bates works. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2003, 04:28 PM
"chicks dig scars"

long rod,

after taking a second look, i discovered that it is a first edition, and is in excellent conditon. Some family members told me that gret granddad recieved it as a birthday gift in the fifties, and had forgotten the thing even existed until i was going through some of my grandfathers effects that had been in storage since his death in 1997. It may not be worth much , even to a collector, but it has become another piece of the traditions and ideas that were my grandfather and his father. Thanks for the comment, and the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.