PMC Cancer Fundraiser - biking the Cape - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 09:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
PMC Cancer Fundraiser - biking the Cape

Below is a message about a cancer fundraiser that takes place along the Cape. I'm posting to this board b/c of the great people I've met during the past two years, even if I don't know most of your real names.

Best,

Jay
----------------------------

I'm sure you know someone who has been affected by cancer. I lost my mother two years ago to this devastating disease. Please consider sponsoring me for the Pan Mass Challenge (PMC - www.pmc.org), the largest single fundraising event for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute's (DFCI) Jimmy Fund (www.jimmyfund.org). The Jimmy Fund supports the fight against cancer in children and adults, helping to raise the chances of survival for cancer patients around the world. Jimmy Fund donors have helped to fund one of the greatest medical success stories of the past 50 years - the improvement in cure rates for childhood cancers, from less than 10 percent to greater than 70 percent and as high as 90 percent for some forms of the disease.

On the weekend of August 2nd & 3rd, I will join over 3,900 bicycle riders and 1,400 volunteers in the 24th annual PMC journey - a 190 mile trek across eastern Massachusetts, through 20 cities and towns. This year I am riding the longer distance from Sturbridge to Provincetown, MA and have a higher personal fundraising goal of $3,000. This is the charity that I most support for several reasons:
* To keep alive the memory of my mother and other family and friends close to us who have lost their battles with cancer
* To support many friends and family in the midst of their courageous battles.
* To help advance the field of cancer research and patient treatment
* To help provide a cancer-free environment for everyone, everywhere

Last year's ride was a very emotional experience. I was not prepared for the number of supporters, cancer survivors, and children being treated for cancer that lined every mile of the ride and assisted at rest stops. Their support was overwhelming. In addition I was very moved by riders attaching dedications from supporters on their jerseys. If you would like to dedicate this year's contribution to someone specifically, please include his or her name with your donation. I will wear their names in hopes that this display will bring comfort to those special people in our lives.

I ask you to think about how cancer has affected you, your family, your friends, and think about what finding a cure for cancer is worth to you. Whatever you can afford is gratefully received, but please consider a minimum donation of $30. Sponsorship is easiest using the PMC's secure online eGift system at:
https://www.pmc.org/egifts/makeadon...?egiftID=JM0277

Just enter your credit card information and my eGift ID of JM0277. Please be assured that all transactions are totally secure. By making donations online, a larger percentage of your donation will go to the Jimmy Fund. Alternatively, print out and fill out the slip below and send your donation to the address above. Credit cards and checks are accepted. Don't forget company matching gift forms.

I am riding with hope and confidence that a cure will be found soon. Please join me in supporting this worthy cause.

Gratefully,

Jay

Last edited by JayM; 06-27-2003 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 09:57 AM
President of CAC

Thanks for Posting this Jay... no question that it is a good and right cause.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
Pictures from last year's fundraiser

Thank you for the messages of support and donations.

For those interested, you can view pictures of last year's ride at:

https://my.pmc.org/personal.asp?UID=JM0277

Thanks again,

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.