Kayak Monomoy on Sat - Route suggestions? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 08:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
Talking Kayak Monomoy on Sat - Route suggestions?

Looking for suggestions on where to kayak to on Saturday around Monomoy. 12:30pm high tide. 4 of us want to launch around Morris Island (perhaps from Hardings) in the morning (around 8:30am) and head down around North Monomoy. Seems like we will be moving somewhat against the current all day (heading out on an incoming tide, heading in around 3pm on an outgoing). Looking to do a mix of fishing from the kayaks and also beaching them to wade and sight fish.

Would you recommend a path along the NM western flats, down to the southern tip of NM, across the channel to the flats on the other side (this north part of the next land mass)?

Or should we stay around the south tip of NM and hit the flats there?

Or is there some other place we should visit? We fish a lot on South Beach and would like to cover some new territory - especially with the higher mobility of the kayaks - but obviously want to get some fish as well.

Anyone interested in joining please let us know. 3 of us are also trying out the Tribalance kayaks so we should be easy to spot.

Thanks in advance for any route recommendations with suggested launch points,

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Launch from the causeway instead of Morris if you want to avoid paddling against the outgoing at Harding's Light. Park on the mainland end of the causeway and drop the yaks in over the dune, there's a trail but watch for leaves of three.

Bring hand-held GPS for safety and posterity.

There's so much area out there and although it seems you want to try new areas you've probably only touched about 30-40% of South Beach on foot and there are shoals mid-channel between SB and NM that are untouched by footprints, neither south beach nor Monomoy but in betweens perfect for kayaking. That being said West common flats are fun and paddling isn't a bad way to cover them. What I would do if it were me is to look at the refuge as a whole and explore as much as possible given the mobility and currents for the day.

If you find picky fish, throw everything you got at them and failing that move somewhere else - the big disadvantage of being on foot is that it's harder to get to the next flat. The mood that fish are in is more important than the fly you use. Find fish in the best mood and you will catch more fish, the yak let's you search further.

Watch for potentional afternoon thundershowers on Sat.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:49 PM

With a 12:30 p.m. high I'd consider dropping in at Hardings and working the shorline there. It's been hot and you won't be dealing with boat traffic. A short hop across the channel puts you on Common Flat which has also been giving up fish.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:53 PM

Good to hear from you again Mr.Robbins!
Old 06-28-2003, 05:52 AM

Hi Juro! I'm here every day. I'm just quiet. I'll try to share more. I'm starting the day on the wrong end of the state, but I hope to get some time in this weekend. Steve
Old 06-30-2003, 11:57 AM

Hello JayM,

Just wondering how it went on Saturday? Were you able to make the trip? I am just curious as I will be in that area next week with my kayak and wondered if you have any suggestions to offer. Hopefully you had a good time --- and hooked into a few stripers?

Geoff
Old 06-30-2003, 12:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JayM
Trip results

Geoff,

We did make the trip on Saturday and had a blast.

We rented Tribalance (www.tribalance.com) kayaks from Jared at Orvis (www.FishingTheCape.com). You can actually stand in the kayak if there are no boat wakes, although it is a bit shaky.

We left the Morris Island Causeway around 8:00am, fished the Tub, hooked into some blitzing blues, then went to the NM flats, east side of NM and then down to some flats at the top of SM. SM had a ton of large fish pods, but they were finicky -- many following our flies but difficult to get them to take. Anchors really helped holding in good positions cause of the currents washing over the flats. We tried small sand eels, crabs, shrimp, etc. but did not catch many fish. I hooked a big one while essentially 'twitching' a small sand eel with weighted line... unforutnately the hook did not set well and lost the fish when it crashed the surface! Caught more blues while trolling. Returned at 5:30pm.... it was a long day!

Jay
Old 06-30-2003, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the report Jay. Sounds like you had fish throughout the day. Too bad about the big one though.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:49 PM

Sounds like a fun day despite it's challenges! I'll bet you can't get those shadows out of your mind at the office though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.