Bayside, 6/25 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2003, 12:52 AM
Middle Aged Member

Bayside, 6/25

Mr. Basser and myself fished it hard with not much to show. Got to the beach about an hour later than I wanted, probably due to sampling a little scotch JF brought. Stopped at the aquarium, at seemingly just the right tide stage, but nothin doing. Jim from Jersy came by, with dinner trailing on a string and says "you shoulda been here an hour ago". Typical. Fished to the 9:00 am high with just one hit to show for it, the went to meet the wives for breakfast.

Went back to the beach and started working east on the drop. Perfect Bahama like flats conditions but only saw one slow moving blue that didn't look like he was going to survive being caught and released. I wanted to get down to the creek as early in the drop as possible so we move right along rather than pausing at troughs as I normally do. As we approached the creek area a tightly packed pod of 12 to 15 inch blues passed by and JF eliminated the shunk. A few minuets later I made a perfect presentation to a sighted fish and nailed a nice fat 25 - 26" schoolie, This is going to be easy, I thought. Spent the next hour or so seeing fish continuously but couldn't manage another hit. And it only got harder to make a reasonable presentation as the current increased. Initially the fish seemed to be moving and facing upstream, then the motion became less polar as fish darted in all directions. Frustrating, but interesting day.

Structure has changed from last year and I'm not sure I like it. I think the fishing should improve over the next day or two. With the stable weather pattern I'm expecting the fish to move farther up on the flats and staying longer. Wishful thinkin or what?
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great report Fred... hang in there you'll get 'em next tide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2003, 07:15 AM
President of CAC

Fred, I sounds like got that place figured out to a tee..Great report .
Old 06-26-2003, 08:27 AM
Pencil me in.....

The wife and I had a great time with Fred A his Mrs. It was a perfect day even though the fish didn't cooperate. I now have added another excellent breakfast spot to my arsenal. Maybe I should publish a book of restaurants within 15 minutes of a fishin hole:hehe: As I write this, my wife is back in work, Fred is back on the flats, and I am pondering all the fish that turned away. Think we need flies with little hypertails. Mr. Featherbrain needs to work on those

However, the best cure for this situation, in the words of an ol fishin buddy is to "Wait for different fish"
Old 06-26-2003, 08:36 AM

Grumpy's I'll bet! Man I DO need to fish the bayside soon... when's the next AFTER breakfast tide?
Old 06-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Middle Aged Member

Striblu, you got a couple of those Featherbrains, in a sandeel configuration, that I can experiment with.

Hit the beach later than I wanted to, again. I took a brief 6hour nap after Mr. and Mrs Basser left last night and was pacing around the house at 1;00 am. Went back to bed after posting a report, then overslept. Anyhow, lots of cookie cutter dinks chasing sandeels. As the sun got a little higher things became visual. A few nice fish mixed in. Sandeels all over the place in sizes fro 1 inch to 4". I think the time is at hand but I'm fried from 2 days of fun in the sun. Besides, Penguin called while I was fishing and my wife said something about going out, but she was vague. I think she told Pete I was going to be busy cleaning the garage today.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Middle Aged Member

No, we went upscale at the Marshside. But please refrain from naming eateries with 15 minuts of my hole and let this thread sink fast.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:05 AM

15 minutes? We must have different spots... I have at least a 30-35 minute drive to breakfast, including the bush wacking of the trail. Wait, are you talking about the mystery hole? Or wasn't it the one behind the poison ivy patch near greenhead lane? Boy I hope they shot that doberman or put it on a leash one or the other. Too much mung lately too, and those damn dock pilings in the middle of the channel sure eat a lot of flies.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:09 PM

You gave too much info this time Juro, I know that spot....it is right next to the artillery range, where one has to crawl under 100 yards of barbed wire, avoid the first sandbar which is mined, buy one fly from Monica Lewensky's collection, only to find that when you get there, Alexander Haig is in charge of the flat and the fish only hit on his command
Old 06-26-2003, 02:30 PM

Question of the hour... what is the name of the fly from Monica's collection? (remember this is a family program)
Old 06-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Fly chucker

I think the fly's identity came up over the winter in the warmwater archive.....could it be the lapdancing bugger?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:40 PM

Was it a Gurgler?
Old 06-26-2003, 04:01 PM

Never bought one myself due to hanging up my backpack on the barbed wire, but, I do believe that it was called the "Clinton Zipper Fly"....reports have it that it only catches politically incorrect stripers.:hehe: Probably fish that only approach from the extreme "left".
Old 06-26-2003, 05:32 PM
fish'n Hobo

Was it
WEE Willy Winkeee!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.