Rhode Island SaltWater License - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2003, 02:44 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Exclamation Rhode Island SaltWater License

Some swell deal!?
$35 will allow you to fish the RI Salt...be it from the beach or from your favourite charter boat...

Charter and party costumers who live out of state, shouldn't sit back and watch Rhode Islanders attempt to stop this license. You have to call your comrades and tell them to get involved.

Write to the RI Governor and Speaker of the House.

Tell them that you vacation here every year, or fish here. Tell that that you always spend money when you come to RI (bait shops, restaurant, fuel, etc.)...

Tell them that you will NOT fish in Rhode Island if a recreational saltwater license is approved...
And tell them you will refuse to buy a license for something that is free in other states and tell them that the fish in the ocean and bay are not stocked (like freshwater)and swim freely from state to state.
Will Rhode Island provide more fish if a license was instituted? Will they use the money to build more/better boat ramps for out-of-state visitors?
Of course not!
The money is going into the general fund for a teacher's pay raise or to buy new cars for the Transportation Department or to pay for a new road...or "Visit Rhode Island" tourist propaganda...

Will there be enforcement on the water so boats from NY, CT and Mass will have to abided by the same restrictions that RI boats do.
Keep in mind NY has 17" fluke and a 7 bag limit.
RI 5 fish and 171/2 "and now...$35 if you were from out of state!
...where would you go to fish??????

The e-mail address of the governor:
Governor Donald Carcieri
rigov@gov.state.ri.us

and

Speaker William Murphy
rep-murphy@rilin.state.ri.us

If RI falls...can Ct and Taxachusetts (home of Ted Kennedy and Barney Frank) be far behind?!

Last edited by Penguin; 06-22-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2003, 03:29 PM
President of CAC

Pete... they can't ticket you if they can't see you...uck, uck:hehe:
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48 AM

Conn. will not be far behind. The money for the fresh water lincense goes into a general fund. Here in Mass. there is a pledge of no new taxes yet all fees are raised. I wouldn't mind paying a fee to protect the fishery but you know what would happend the sportsmen's money would go into the general fund.

FishHawk
Old 06-23-2003, 08:16 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
For what it's worth...

Non-residents...$35./year $16./three day
Residents...$18.
I sent off several e-mail and the messages were received...let's hope every little bit helps...Please send a few of your own!

Sample:
Dear Mr Governor...
Granted, I reside in Massachusetts, but I make many side trips to your great state to enjoy your wonderful salt water fishing opportunities.
If I have to pay ($35) for a license to fish from the beach or a boat I will most certainly take my food/gas/motel money and related business somewhere else.
The relatively small amount of cash raised by this proposition will be dwarfed by the hugh lost revenues that will follow.
Please consider this carefully before you shoot your tourist fishing industry in the foot!
Thank you for your time and attention.

Pete Gray
508 XXX-XXXX
61 XXXXX Road
West Yarmouth, MA 02673
Old 06-23-2003, 09:12 AM

Pete,
Thanks for bringing this up and making it so easy to take action. Email sent:
Governor Donald Carcieri,

I understand that during these trying economic times every tax and fee that can be gathered helps the cause of education, public safety and infrastructure maintenance. While you my first view the saltwater fishermen are an untapped source of revenue I think it would be a mistake to introduce a fee on this recreation. The small potential fee gained would be offset by the need for additional law enforcement. The potential for lost tourism should also be studied prior to implementing such a change. Speaking for myself I would forgo my annual visit to the state if such a fee were levied.
You would not get the $35 and tourist businesses such as restaurants and lodging would suffer. This is not the time to apply more of a strain on small business. Perhaps promoting the state as a local vacation jewel may be a better strategy than creating a reason to think twice about a visit.

Regards,

Jim Whalen
MA state resident

I hope others take action on this too. We're pulling for you Rhody.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mine has been sent as well. Hope good sense prevails.

I would say that if MA issued a SW license with a definitive plan for enforcement and improvement of access, habitat protection, etc - I would be all for it. If they wanted to pad the general fund, not no but hell no.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Fly chucker

Mine has been sent as well. If enough of us speak out, maybe they'll realize just how much the local businesses will be hurt.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Jonesin...

Sent this morning.

I sent my $.02 in this morning. Thank you Pete for the email addresses.

Sean
Old 06-24-2003, 08:27 AM

Angry Let's fight it

I go to RI at least 4 times a year to fish, spending $100-200 per trip for food, lodging. Won't do it again with the license requirement.

I for one am damn sick and tired of "hidden taxes" being levied. Re-structure the government, get rid of no longer needed agencies, realize there is no more $$ they can spend, do away with the concept of "government can fix everything" and leave us the hell alone!

Can anyone in RI with some name recognition be persuaded to lead a protest, and get some publicity? How about 100 fishermen descending on one point on the coast and refusing to buy a license? Anyone know what the fine may be? May be worth it.
I think it would have to be "led" by someone known in RI otherwise it will not be covered.
If it doesn't stop here, I fear all neighboring states (yes, "Taxachusetts" too) will follow.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:44 AM

I've watched the saltwater licensing debate for years and mostly stayed silent. As a fisherman who spends ~ 98% of my time on freshwater, one question has stuck in my craw for a long time. Would someone explain to me the origins of requiring a license for freshwater but not saltwater?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:04 AM

Re: Let's fight it

Quote:
Originally posted by DanD
I go to RI at least 4 times a year to fish, spending $100-200 per trip for food, lodging. Won't do it again with the license requirement.

I for one am damn sick and tired of "hidden taxes" being levied. Re-structure the government, get rid of no longer needed agencies, realize there is no more $$ they can spend, do away with the concept of "government can fix everything" and leave us the hell alone!

Can anyone in RI with some name recognition be persuaded to lead a protest, and get some publicity? How about 100 fishermen descending on one point on the coast and refusing to buy a license? Anyone know what the fine may be? May be worth it.
I think it would have to be "led" by someone known in RI otherwise it will not be covered.
If it doesn't stop here, I fear all neighboring states (yes, "Taxachusetts" too) will follow.
Dan- I used to live and work as a shellfisherman in RI and the penalties can be stiff if they want them to be. For a shellfisherman caught working illegally it was forfeiture of all gear in his possession at the time of the offense. The same could be applied in this case. They do it now for poachers if caught, and this includes their transportation both land and water. Ron
Old 06-25-2003, 11:05 AM

A Response, More than I ever got from the MA state or Fed.

June 25, 2003

Dear Mr. Whalen:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the House budget proposal that will impose an $18 a year license fee on people who fish in saltwater.

I can assure you that I strongly oppose this proposal to implement a saltwater fishing license program! I believe people in Rhode Island think of saltwater fishing as a birthright and I can assure you I will do all I can to make sure this budget proposal is defeated. I thank you for your comments and urge you to contact your state representatives on this important matter. I firmly believe that active citizen participation is the most certain path to good government.

Sincerely,
Donald L. Carcieri
Governor
Old 06-25-2003, 12:03 PM
CantAnchorUs

The Reps are the ones who will decide if this becomes law. Being attached to the budget it`s either all or none, there is no line-item veto. I made a call to my district rep and was told that the sentiment was strong and hot against this.He assured me that there is very little if any support for this and will be surprised if it even gets to the floor, if you can believe a pol.
Slinger
Old 06-25-2003, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Desjardins
Would someone explain to me the origins of requiring a license for freshwater but not saltwater?
In New York State, the DEC stocks freshwater, including
several million salmon per year; arranges/pays for public
access to waters via private property; on a limited basis,
enforces fishing regulations. It does other things as well,
but the three I listed require quite a bit of money.

California requires a license for saltwater fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.