Back to basics - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Fly chucker

Back to basics

With all of the attention I've been giving the new boat and tying intricate flies for pike, stripers, and smallmouth, I forgot how great just the plain basics of flyfishing can be. I threw my Hobie Cat on top of the Pathfinder and went to a pond with nothing more than my 6 wt, a box of poppers, and a spool of tippet material.

These are the days that remind me of why I fell in love with the sport. I felt like a kid again all day, and can honestly say that I will never tire of an early summer day full of bass and bluegills busting poppers.

I feel refreshed.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Sponsor

I hit a local pond myself this past weekend and was hooking up with the biggest bluegills that I have caught in a very long time. I swear when they would rise for my yellow popper they just attacked it and every time I thought it was a decent sized bass with the size of the splash. It was a good time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 09:30 PM
"chicks dig scars"

will & mark

had the last few days off nursing my ankle, but did manage to make a trip to my favorite pond this weekend as well. caught some nice gills, a few trout (stocked nine inchers), and one confused little channel cat that sipped up a large foam beetle in a cattail stand...gotta love the simpler things.

will, thank God, it's not raining!!!!!!! ready for that drought we discussed? I think its headin' our way, quick!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Sponsor

I don't think the rain is over yet, it's pouring rain here right now! Of course the streams really started looking good the past two days and now thunderstorms on a Thursday . Hopefully it won't last long and it will stay dry tomorrow and clear the water up by Sat/Sun.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:54 PM
"chicks dig scars"

rained a little here thursday nite, but nothing substainial....hoped to get out to the water sat., but just found out i have to work sat and sunday to meet production quotas for the upcoming holiday. sucks to be me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.