Fly fishing Team USA wins a medal at the World Championships!!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 01:39 PM

Fly fishing Team USA wins a medal at the World Championships!!!!

The Fly Fishing World Championships were held in Jaca Spain this year. Jeff Currier of Jackson Wyoming and manager of Jack Dennis Fly Shop has won the Individual Bronze. Team USA finished basically tied with Poland for 7th place.

Congratulations to Jeff Currier. What a terrific accomplishment and demonstration of fly fishing skill.

John W. Wilson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2003, 02:13 PM

Simon G. was with the Brits's;

how did they do?

fae
Old 06-21-2003, 03:08 PM

Fred:

Simon was the Captain of Team England so he didn't actually compete as such. I haven't seen all the final totals posted on the event website as yet. I think England finished like 5th or 6th which wasahead of Team USA. England had 3 Simons on their team this year which added to the confusion. One of the Simons on the team basically tied Jeff for the bronze in points. The tie breaker was over all fish length and Jeff barely edged him out. We had a great time with Team England. Simon G was our DJ for the party the last night of the competition. He spun reconds and we danced and laughed till the wee hours of the night.

What a fun bunch of guys!

John
Old 06-21-2003, 08:49 PM

Talking Now that I can belive.

Kan't think of a "Brit" that I didn't like from the 'get-go;' Simon heads the list. Cool Guy ... and even better yet ... the "employer."

If his 'life isn't good' God only knows why.
fae
Old 06-22-2003, 12:42 PM

USA! USA! USA!

Interesting to see that the US team is getting more competitive each year. I suspect that they are better fishermen than they are competitors.
I hope the competition craze (flyfishing for trout) doesn't catch on here.
Kind of like ski racing in Maine. The free skiing is relatively poor, so might as well race. Go Bodie Miller!
Old 06-22-2003, 01:50 PM
President of CAC

That's good news... How do they run these competions... overall scoring or individual events???
Old 06-22-2003, 02:41 PM

The events are basically scored by 5 sessions. In each session you receive points for each fish successfully caught and released. From there you receive "place points" with your group. First place receives a 1 second a 2 and so on. A blank receives the total points of the group. The reason France did so well in competition is that they had very few blanks as a team. The team and or persons with the fewest number of place points wins. I think the gold medalist had 19 place points and the bronze had 21. I had a blank which by itself was 20 points. The lake we fished in one session produced 17 blanks and 3 place points. Pretty tough fishing overall. The USA had 4 blanks on the lake and only one fish caught and landed.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.