Crooked River OR - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2000, 08:31 AM

Crooked River OR

Well over the next few days I'll be leaving the computer as well as the 10 weight in Mass. for a rendevous with the beautiful rock climbing cliffs of Smith Rock and the equally beautiful rainbows residing upstream of the cliffs in the Crooked river. I wonder how difficult the transition from 10 to 4 weight is going to be.

I have made this trip every year for the last 6 and I start looking forward to the next one on the drive home. The rock climbing is world class and IMHO so is the trout fishing. About six years ago I read a report in a local fishing magazine that told of some increadable number of trout per mile (8,000 I think) and I had to go. However many trout there are in the river I have come to expect fifty fish days with most being between 9 - 12 inches and a sprinkling of 15 - 20 inchers to make things interesting. This is also the place where I had my weirdest fly fishing experience. (See my post "the weirdest thing...")

When I get back I'll post a report and if I can find a way I will post a pic or two of the gorgeous high desert scenery. Until then save a few stripers for me and think good weather for the Monomoy Clave.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2000, 09:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Crooked River OR

Sounds fascinating... can't wait to see the images. (Let me know if you need any help putting them up). As you know I just love that part of the country. An annual pilgrimage to somewhere like that really broadens the angling year, eh?

Safe travels and enjoy yourself, as I know you will!
Old 05-16-2000, 11:56 AM

Hey Gregg,
What's the keeper size this year out there for Bats?
Good luck, have a great trip. Don't break your first few off with the striper jerk!

TerryW
Old 05-16-2000, 03:17 PM
Some Dude

Never fished on the Crooked River, but have on many rivers on the Western side of Oregon. Trout really are everywhere around there. I remember catching Cutts in what only looked like little puddles of streams. Bows are mainly what I caught, although a seven mile hike from the McKenzie pass will put you into some higher-elevation lakes that team with Browns.
As for the transition from #10 to #4: I did it the other way around. I liken it to driving the two vehicles I have. I drive a full size Chevy 4X4, but sometimes I have to drive my wife's Honda Accord. I just have to remember to soften up my steering as well as my accelerator.
The biggest thing I have to overcome while in Oregon is convincing myself that I am no less a man for having someone else pump gas in my truck (it's the law .
Take care and have fun in the sales-tax-free state.
Mitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.