road trips - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2003, 12:26 AM
the speypages guy

road trips

When I moved back to BC after living in Alberta for several years I used to take a trip back to "Montana North" every summer and do the trout bum thing for a week or two--you know, living out of the back of your truck, fishing lots, sleeping little, surving mostly on coffee, sports drinks and canned chili. I remember one goofy evening near the campground at Lundbreck when the fish were so on the caddis and the light was so low that I couldn't see so I would cast upstream, make two or three strips, then lift the rod...and every third or fourth cast was a fish. On another trip I spent nearly an hour working a rainbow along the Witch's Run on the Bow, and finally managed to hook that 24 incher on a size 16 Rusty Spinner. Yet another trip saw the most amazing day of cutthroat fishing on the Elk. Great memories.

These days I devote most of my fishing time to steelhead but every year about this time I wish there were two of me so that I could spent another week in Wild Rose Country.
FFF certified casting instructor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I had discussed a roadtrip of sorts to Kamloops to chase after trout sometime this month...but then she dumped me!
Old 06-19-2003, 12:50 AM
the speypages guy

go anyways, Spark! Sometimes the best road trips are solo. Gierach in most of his books has useful things to say about fly fishing and relationships...
FFF certified casting instructor
Old 06-19-2003, 12:55 PM

Dana, I don't mean to add to your torture but....
The Indian Res. lakes have been fishing very well, still not able to make my limit at Duck lake (Montana) since only one fish above 20 inch is allowed out of a catch of 5, all are above 20"...
Police outpost is also doing well, typical for the lake a hit every second cast, 70% of the fish are 14 inchers, 20% are 18 inchers and 10% are above 20 inch.
The Bow had been great until runoff started, should be back in primo shape by July 8th or so. The rainbows are still football sized and fiesty and the browns are larger this year than in prior years...
Caddis are starting to appear "en masse" and after I return from Kamloops, Caddis will be the meal ticket..
Old 06-20-2003, 01:12 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Dana
go anyways, Spark! Sometimes the best road trips are solo. Gierach in most of his books has useful things to say about fly fishing and relationships...
Oh I will...but not Kamloops!!...that trout were for her so that road trip will come but the quarry will definately not be trout!...more like steelhead!!

I should pull out my Gierach collection as it has been a long while since I've read one of his books...they are always a great read...at this moment, I am right in the middle of The River Why.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:20 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to night dancer
The best road trips are deff. solo. No plans and your on nobody elses schedule. You can do what you want when you want. I tried it last year...didnt make it past the deschutes, the steelhead were in...

Ira
Old 07-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Mod

Hey Ira-
Get your ass to work!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Recent Member

Location: Eagle River, Gore Creek, Green River, South Fork of the Snake
Fly Dry

I'm sure ready for a road trip! I've got a list a mile long...I just have no time to do it!
I think I will quite my job and travel the West fishing every good river on the map and then write a book about all the great spots I find..........or maybe I will do the trip and not write the book...or maybe I will just quite my job and fish around here...yea that sounds good too!
I also want to say that we should all think about how lucky we are to live in a free country that provides us with the lifestyles of leisure....and makes it possible for us to fish and enjoy our great and beautiful rivers....God Bless America and happy 4th to everyone.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:15 AM

Nice to see another Colorado person here on the board. Welcome.
Couldn't agree with you more on your message, we are darn lucky.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to night dancer
hey Ryan its Ira, from Tigard
Old 07-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Mod

Ira-
Thats what I figured...so like I said, get your ass back to work!
Old 07-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to fishinbyfly
Quote:
The best road trips are deff. solo. No plans and your on nobody elses schedule. You can do what you want when you want. I tried it last year...didnt make it past the deschutes, the steelhead were in...
That is exactly what I think. I hate having a time to be back when I go fishing on a trip or whatever. Going solo and not having a specific time to be back is the best.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:40 AM

I agree!

Being retired, and married to an understanding wife, I can only say go it alone. No schedules to follow, just call in once in a while to assure everything's OK. That's the only way to go.

Partners have a way of working a schedule into it one way or another which always goes contrary to what I want to do. If the fishing is good where I am, they get wanderlust. Or when it gets bad, they want to stay for some reason. Or you hear them say , "Well, I think it's suppertime!" or "Cocktail Time!" or some other foolishness right in the middle of the best hatch in 20 years!

Me? I just like to enjoy myself, and to hell with a schedule. Eat what I want when I feel like it, etc., etc.

BobK
Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 AM

Location: Stilly,Sky,And anything that flows into Puget sound
Bobk. It's too bad that we live so far apart. Me on the West coast and you almost on the East coast. I'm retired also and come and go as I please. In fact the wife is always telling me "Why are you still home".

The one good thing about having a partner to fish with is at my age I seem to have trouble getting around anymore and I don't want to quit fishing.

Jim
Old 07-08-2003, 02:43 PM

Hey there, Jim...

Yeah - I know what you mean. Wish I did live closer, but the wife insists on living close to the grandkids. (That's both nice, and can be a pain in the backside on occasion!)

I imagine if I did live close to you, we could manage to get into trouble a lot more than today's kids do! Probably get our share of fish, too!

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.