Joppa/PI/s. MAine report 6/13-6/16 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 03:31 PM

Joppa/PI/s. MAine report 6/13-6/16

Fished joppa from my little red canoe - baby it ain't too fast. I loved it but wouldn't do it on a weekend or with a heavy wind.
All day Friday I was spooking cows right and left with the bow of my boat and my flyline. Couldn't hook up for the life of me. I also couldn't sight the fish due to the sky and water colors. I fsihed all day with one twinky to show, all the time fishing a fast-sinker. I had been figuring to keep the fly on the bottom was key. Towards the end, I switched to my floater and a olive/white clouser. Immmediately hooked up with a keeper and lost it. Later I boated a 32" fish that put the hammer to this freshwater feller. It towed my canoe around the anchor a few times. Made my weekend. -I think the floating line made the difference... not so much for the depth but because of the rise/fall action it gave my clouser. What do you guys think?
Also fished a smaller maine river mouth. Plenty of schoolies, but nothing huge.
Monday hit Joppa and the PI beach - tons' of schoolies, but couldn't get a big one, aothough some bait guys had a 40". Great fun for someone who is usually landlocked.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Congrats on your Nantucket Sleigh Ride!

I think a clear intermediate line would have produced the same positive results, assuming the spooking of fish was due to visibility of the black sinking line. As an avid flats fisher, I can get away with a sinking line all day long as long as I am not showing them the line.

Here's what I mean:

Hold a black line in both hands and stretch it across your face. Reaction: stay away.

Now look down the end of that same black line - nothing to see but a spec.

The sinking line will not put off fish if the cast is placed properly and the angle is as straight to the fish as possible.

If you were unable to see the fish far enough to place the cast at what I call a "down angle" then you will need to use another more stealthy line.

Where I have fished on Joppa the bottom color was dark and not conducive to sight fishing. You might try launching your canoe at Hampton just up the road and fishing over the bright sugar white sands near the inlet. I've sight fished that area with good success from a boat.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 03:37 PM

thanks juro.
Yeah - i couldn't spot a thing until there was a boil just under my boat or flyline. So I'm not sure I could have given them the "down angle" presentation. you're right - I think it was the more stealthy floater that helped me out - light green and doesn't land with the "splash". I love learning this stuff, unfortunately I'm too far away to put the time I need to. I'm definitely hooked, though.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:09 PM

Dewey,

Trolled right up next to you Saturday by accident. Backed off because it's the right thing to do.

Glad you hooked up. There were fish hitting our offerings on the surface that sounded like somebody was throwing beer kegs into the water. I had one follow it right up to the bow without a take that was easily 4' plus. Ala Charlie Moore "NICE FISH"!

If you think they're spooky now wait a week or two and it will make trout fishing with dry flies look like childs play. More like high lining a school of bonefish. ZOOM!

BTW, bring a flashlight and an airhorn to protect yourself from some of the yahoos out there. A gun will work too.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hmmm.... I can get some work done and make the late morning low.... hmmmm......
Old 06-20-2003, 07:35 AM

juro - If you can make it, you owe it to me, who is 3 1/2 hours away, to go.

ssully - Was it Friday when you saw me? I was in Maine Saturday. I figure you were the guy catching fish every drift. Way to go, but I have to admit you had me red in the face for a minute (because you were catching and I wasn't). Thanks for not running me over.:hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.