Wiper - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 08:19 AM

Wiper

Caught my first wiper yesterday morning at the local res. It was not big maybe 12-13 inches but it fought like a champ. It looked like a striper that had been squeezed at the head and tail to give it a more football shape. They were ambushing small bait all morning, jumping out of the water as they took breakfast. I cannot wait to try again.

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Sponsor

Two years ago I caught a 9 1/2 lb wiper at one of the dams on the Ohio River during their big run up the river. Of course last year and this year severe flooding made it impossible to get a boat out to them. I guess since no one was catching them then they might get even bigger. The state record is 17 lbs and next year I'm gonna try my best to break it with a fly rod!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 08:13 AM

9 pounds would be a big wiper indeed. I did not know they stocked them in OH. There was an article in the paper sunday describing how they collect the female striper eggs and only have a short time window to fertilize with white bass milt. The fisheries biologist looked beat, he only had 12 hours of sleep in four days. Will, did you ever go for walleye during the run with a fly. I'm from Findlay and thought about it but never tried.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Sponsor

We don't have many walleye in our area, but if I could find a place to go where I could throw a fly at them I would love to try. I'm always up for trying a new fish on a fly!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 08:30 PM
"chicks dig scars"

walleyes

wiil,

not sure about many walleye streams in ky, but the big sandy in pike county offers some walleye action, caught a few ther myself growing up in the region. cumberland lake is absolutely full of them and have seen several hauled out of the river by fly fishermen. may be worth checking out if your ever down that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.