Monomoy on Saturday? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 08:01 AM

Monomoy on Saturday?

I'm thinking of heading down to Monomoy this weekend, probably Saturday.

It looks like low @ Stage Harbor will be around noon, which I'm guessing isn't ideal, but I'm going anyway.

Does anyone have suggestions for fishing this tide out there? I usually make it down once a year, and in the past I've done ok just wandering around until I find fish, but I figured a little research couldn't hurt this year.

Also, should I be tying up anything special this week?

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Matt -

Somehow missed this post, must've been recovering from the previous week down there when you posted the q.

Early ebb with high water is still good fishing so if you are hoofing around before the shuttle runs you'll have water on the flats as well as fish hunting close to shore on the outside beaches (highs around 6:30a-7:20 on Sun.

The trick with mid-day lows is to find out where the fish are staging before they move again for the flood - if you do the action is fast and furious. An example is the kettle right at the boat drop on south beach - sometimes the best time is dead low when you can get a fly deep in the hole. I always take a shot or two into the hole and some days you just don't want to leave. Bait also needs to find a place to hold up during lows, so when the two hole up together you can be sure of fast action.

Traditionally in that area the late drop is pretty dead at least by conventional approaches for that area. Best bet is to find the bait, failing that find the low tide staging hole. The fish haven't left the area, but they are not particularly hunting during that tide.

If you can't find anything going on the top of the tub is a good bet to find some fish at dead low blind casting into the drop off.

There are several other low-holes but I will let you find them out for yourself!

Of course a mid-day low still gives you 2.5-3 hours of prime flood before the bus leaves, so if you know any early flood hotspots that's where I'd place my bets.

Of course this is all moot since the weekend passed, so instead of retroactive replies, how'd you do?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 PM
President of CAC

Well... there you go.... all great advise...
Old 06-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Pencil me in.....

My tide chart shows HIGH at Stage at 12:22 PM. I plan to be down
Old 06-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Pencil me in.....

Sorry ...wrong weekend old post I guess. i should check the original post dates:hehe: :eyecrazy:
Old 06-23-2003, 11:37 PM
CantAnchorUs

JF lets try to hook up. I want to go but want some company that knows the lay of the beach.
Slinger
Old 06-24-2003, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the Monomoy tips Juro, I'll file this post away for future reference.

With the poor weather forecasted for Saturday, I decided to put off the monomoy trip and score some brownie points by accompanying the wife to Newport. I still got to fish all day, but I saved the monomoy trip for some other time- hopefully when there's better tides and weather.

Fishing in newport was slow. I picked up schoolies just about everywhere I tried, but nothing with any size to it, and I had to work to catch what I did. I didn't see any blues, but the guys at SWE said they'd been in and out.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Pencil me in.....

Slinger

Your PM box is full.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.