Bayside, 6/15, AM & PM - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 04:56 AM
Middle Aged Member

Bayside, 6/15, AM & PM

Hiked out to the creek at dead low and got a real good look at the structure. Nice bars at the end of troughs that you know are ther but seldom see dry. I think thats about as low as it gets for the rest of the summer.

Looked around at the creek then set up at post up station one. The spot was fairly free of mung unlike a lot of the beach. Once water started moving and with the sun breaking through fish appeared. Hooked a sighted schoolie. Then hooked and dropped a number of fish, mostly schoolies. Back to my casual ways I guess. Did land a nice small keeper. Fog bank moved in and decided to move west along the bar to safer water and the scene of Saturdays action. Lots of mung all along the bar and no fish. Heading for the lot I stopped at the aquarium and made a cast to the otherside of a hump, along an edge to deeper water. Bang. Anothher one of those big violent types. After the run and a brief tug o war he spit the hook.

Fished the afternoon drop in the sun. Lots of bait, not a fish to be seen.
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 06:51 AM
Pencil me in.....

Fred, did you buy that hook sharpener the last time I saw you at the Den?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Middle Aged Member

I've been thinking about the hooks. Since I moved from the Mustad 34007's to the Tiemco 811's I've paid less attention. Saturday I was fishing a fly from one of the raffles with success, both attracting fish and maintaining hookups. (It was a yellow/chartrues clouser tied on about a 1/0 hook with the offset eye. Sound familiar to anyone. A big thanks and what is that hook?) Yesterday I was fishing a Deep Eel on a #1 811. I'm thinking go with the bigger 1/0.

Thinking back to last year I had days when I didn't miss a set and others like yesterday with the Tiemco's. Me thinks I don't always focus on the little details. Saturday I was focused on landing fish, Sunday I was looking things over/scouting and working on seeing and finding fish. It was enough just to briefly hook a sighted fish, but my decipline went to hell and when I hooked a serious fish I failed.

I took the Vector out for an initiation in the afternoon. What a casting tool. Wish I coulda seen how it fights fish.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Pencil me in.....

811's

I heard that they are no longer being produced
Old 06-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

811s are still being produced as far as I know, I still buy them regularly. I've had outstanding success with them for a number of reasons, light wire, sharpness, strength, profile with the angle on the bend to form a corner, etc.

13 sight caught keepers (additional shorts as well) up to 37" in the last 6 hours of flats time, dropped three but I seriously doubt it was the hook despite the fact that I grind all my barbs smooth with a dremel bit before tying on them. Most of them on an 811s...

I experimented with a new fly I call the "swizzler" on a circle today (thanks for the name, Francois!). They loved it even though it was unweighted and they'd "rise" to grab it from a sighted pod. Yet I was amazed that I had one spit the circle hook after a 5 minute fight with a fish in the mid 30's. And since it was a circle, I didn't grind the barb. I believe most dropped fish are either not holding much lip or the tension on the rod (and line) is not properly maintained. In this case I may have put too much pressure because the giant pod that was passing as I fought this fish was making me rush to get another cast despite having a great fish on the line. Still I think the fish was not hooked in a manner that could support the tug of war need to land it even with a circle.

Jf, I hope there is no truth to that but I will have to check now that you mention it. What was your source?
Old 06-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Pencil me in.....

Source of 811 story

An Orvis rep I bumped into the other day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.