Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip Tides- July

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Lets look at the following dates for a Rip trip ..July12 is a Saturday with a high tide at 11:06 AM... two days on either side of that date would be good... the next one is Saturday July 26 which has a high at 10:39... so a few days after that date would also be good as well.... If we start with the weekend with a usual fall back date of Sunday.. I think those would be the two dates in July we should shoot for.. I will check with Keith for those two Saturdays and post a go or no go and start the list again... the weather HAS got to come though...I pray.

#4 ·
I believe that these particular rips form up best a few hours after the high. There should be an old post from Fred A that mentions that but I cannot find it. I know Juro suggested July 12th / 13th of this year in an earlier thread on the rip trips.

#5 ·
Not really sure but I think if you look at the combined wisdom obtained over the last...3 years, things seem to start to get hot about 3 hours into the outgoing. But I like fishing the surf on the incoming too and the current whizzes pretty good along the beach in the opposite direction also. Hell, it's kinda nice just being out there. Pick your poison but go!

#7 ·
Craig.. I think we are talking about the same thing.. The best time was the 6 hour period from high into low...so we shoot for high at late morning or 12 noonish... we fish a little incoming and spend most of the time fishing out going. The best time would be high around 11 am... with out going up until we depart

#8 ·
I am not sure and I bet one of the guys like Gregg (Hawkeye) could help, I think he and Mike made several trips out there with their boat and most likely have a good fix on when the rip runs the best, if the best time is three hours before low up to dead low and high tide is at 11:00 am that would put low at 5:00 pm. With a pick up time of 4:00 pm, this would mean the group will have to leave at 3:30 pm right when the rip is running the strongest nice and close to the beach.

Again my .02, I think Fred said it all, it is just nice spending the day out there.

I will PM Hawkeye and ask him, he might be able to set me straight.

#12 ·
Hi John,
There is a chance work will take me back to New England in latter July. I would be interested, if the dates work. Sorry to miss you this past week. Monomoy fished well. Big Brothers was fun, wished we could have got the kids into some fish, but they still had a good time
Cheers,
DK

#13 ·
Not sure about the previous dates I might have posted, but historically the best tide has been a 2-3pm LOW, or a 8-9am high. I have a feeling any such post I made would have been for weekend dates that would be do-able as opposed to wrong.

Looking at those tides, we have done a 4pm low in the past and it fished well albeit we had to leave at peak fishing time.

FWIW - this weekend has mid-day lows albeit a little early, better that then late. You'd get the early flood in the end of the session and some slack time mid-day. Sunday being the better of the two.

There aren't any 'perfect' tides in July which fall on weekends, only workable ones.

#14 ·
suggestions

It appears the rip is the closest to the beach during the time 3hrs before low right up until low. Depending on if the group wants to fish the rip as much as possible it is my opinion and only my opinion that the 5th and the 19th would be a possiblity. You might be able to get Keith to leave at 6:00 instead of 7:00, with an arrival time of 6:30 that would work well with the 10:20 low. When you arrive out there it would be running hard for 3 hrs or so and then you would have to scout around after the rip moves off the beach. This is only my opinion.

#15 · (Edited)
Craig... are we looking at the same tide charts?.. I have a Tide tool on my palm pilot which has "Monomoy Point". On July 5th.. low tide is at 10:39AM.... then high is at 4:57... we would be fishing the incomming all day. the July 12th date has high at 10:57AM.... with a deep low at 5:24 PM...... We would be fishing the outgoing in the afternoon.... with 2 or 3 as the best times....

#16 ·
Yes

Yes that sounds right, when you arrive out there, (if Keith will leave a six), around 6:30 which will give you 4 hrs (3 hrs if pick up is at 7:00) of fishing the rip as it moves close to the beach. This would allow you the full time of fishing the rip. After the rip moves off the beach, say 11:00 am then you would have 4/5 hrs of fishing the incoming until pickup. It all depends on how much emphasis you place on fishing the RIP. I have been looking at a tide chart that I found by typing "cape cod tides" in the search engine.

If you go out on the 5th you will have the rip close to the beach and hungry fish early in the morning. After fishing it for 3/4 hours you will most likely need a brake because your arms will all be very tired. :) :) :) :)

Once again just my opinion and thoughts. You are the Meister and Scheduler, so you have to make the call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.