The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Chief of E.P.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The Good was looping on the floater and a 15' leader and waking a Boob Tube across a cobbily tail-out this morning as the sun rose over the Cascades. Still early for this approach but it did feel great to be throwing the floater.

The Bad was 45 minutes earlier when the hook on the Black Scampi that was slammed at the top of the run failed to take hold. Just that old summertime violent grab and then gone. OK so it really wasn't that bad!

The Ugly happened on Friday when I let myself get upset over some other fisherman's mad run for his pontoon boat and frantic oaring as I floated round the bend above him. After losing the race to the next run (he wasn't really very good on the sticks ) this kind soul decides he will make up for it by beaching and walking in 40 yds. below me in the gut of the run. This in spite of my loud verbal advice to do the right thing and start at the top. Despite taking the long way through the woods back to his boat so he didn't have to walk by me, it was his good fortune to find me there waiting for him. It must be all the good vibes from fishing with Kush because the kinder, gentler self took over and all he got was a good lecture on how chicksh** his actions were. I am quite sure he will learn from his experience and be a much more concientous angler in the future. And if not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2003, 03:43 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
The Universal Idiot/Fool!

That guy sure gets around...
He's been sighted all over the FarSide (of the canal)!
I wish I had Kush's intimidating presence...
Old 06-15-2003, 04:37 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

You're wearing the wrong attire. The guy nobody lowholes, etc., dresses in black so, buy a pair of breathable hip waders and dye them black. Same with a vest. Sew a rebel flag on the back of the vest. Wear a red bandana and hang heavy link dog chains from the vest "D" rings. Got to give to some pain - pierce you left ear and hang a 1" gold ring from it. Wear lots of silver and turquoise rings. And skip the razor for a day or two.

At least it's proactive :hehe:

mmm
Old 06-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking Not Baad!

Hey, at least you had the grab.

I pointed to a tailout just after we put the raft in the water and commented to Leland, "I've seen some big spring steelhead roll in that spot but couldn't reach it with a fly. Maybe fishing it from the other side would be the ticket??"

Just as I say this and realize how easy it would be, the raft spooks a steelhead holding right in that same fly water.

We both see it, and it gets us jazzed for the rest of the float.

Sadly, no more sightings. Just a few smolt pecking at our flies. But what a beautiful day to be on the water!

My suggestion for your "ugly" dilemma? Get some psycho shades (or borrow one of Kush' spares) and an "Insured by Smith & Wesson" sticker for your boat
Old 06-15-2003, 11:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Sinktip.. come fish the deschutes with me in August.. getting cut off several times a day by unrepentant anglers is extremely common
Old 06-16-2003, 11:26 AM

Location: Stilly,Sky,And anything that flows into Puget sound
This is the good part of being retired. I don't have to fish on the weekends. I usually have my choice of spots and don't have to put up with all of the yahoo's in the middle of the week. I usually do all my honey-does on the weekends.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:25 PM

Sadly, going mid-week doesn't help some places--like the Deschutes in late August. Some people that come mid-week think they should have the river to themselves, and they act as if they do. There is plenty of room, and there is still a good chance of getting low-holed. Pathetic.

--Bill
Old 06-16-2003, 12:47 PM
CND The Spey Underground

"The Kinder Gentler Me"

I don't do that stuff anymore ... well I only did it twice this weekend - yelling at trollers coming too close to where I was anchored casting chironomids.

The unfortunate thing about confronting ethical evil-doers ( at least those who just don't "get it") is that as they walk away the thinking "what an asshole, there is plenty of water here". Now maybe they'll think twice, but as far as they are concerned you are the jerk. The need for manditory ettiquette information with licenses is probably a great idea.

Now, for the evil-doers who know better, but do it anyway ... Teddy Roosevelt said it right, "talk softly and carry a big stick". Sometimes a whack in the side of the head is appropriate.

- these are psycho-killer shades

Still Living Large!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
it used to bother me on the Deschutes but it's soooooooo common to catch a fish behind somoene that though it's rude i just try to ignore it and enjoy the pleasant surroundings.. umm between jet boats that is..
Old 06-16-2003, 03:49 PM

Smile

Good to see that Rob, Kush and sinktip are level headed, that's about all you can do anymore. The Wild West is no more. Hope the crowds have not dampened your time on the rivers.

Let the kindness flow.
Let beauty and understanding win out.
Let there be Peace in the Valley.
OC
Old 06-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

Though I generally applaud and support OC's sermon/view, there's always the deep satisfaction of beating the hell out of this devil.

mmm
Old 06-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

And for those opposed to dressing up like an outlaw biker there is an alternative. Visit a theatrical supply store an purchase a large handfull of stick-on scabs. The morning of the trip paste a few scabs to your face and pack several unwrapped alka-seltzers in your breast pocket. When the offender approaches slyly put a couple of the tablets in your mouth and after waiting a couple minutes engage the offender in a conversation. If you stagger and shake uncontrollably the effect is greatly amplified.

mmm

Life is theater. Which begs the question - Is life a series of bad, one-act plays?
Old 06-19-2003, 02:54 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
LOL, been there done that

I had a similar situation happen about 10 years ago. Was fishing with my Dad on the Humptulips. We both had our small pontoon boats. Well, had a guy and his pal in a driftboat anchored in a slot as we came around the corner, tossing heavy hardware. Really rips up a slot, especially if you're doing it wrong (which they were). As we approached, they pulled anchor and ran down to the next slot. This happened quite aways. Finally, we hit our chance and passed them for good. Hit a split in the river. Left bank was deep, but had a sweeper across. The right was shallow, but open. Luckily, this sweeper was high enough a pontoon boat could get under with a quick duck of the head. My Dad and I shot the run while the guys got out of their DB to push it through the right slot.

Want to know the best part? We were catching fish in front of them. LOL. Nothing better then a nice fresh steelhead to the bank (we'd row to shore if we hooked on the drift). At the takeout, they had nothing, we had a limit of salmon/steelhead in our boats (I had two steelhead, my Dad had one king, one steelhead). Then, best part, their chase rig wouldn't start. My scooter only held one, SHUCKS!!!!!! :hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.