MJC Clearwater Update? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM

MJC Clearwater Update?

Mike,

I have heard from friends in Idaho that the Idaho Fish and Game Commission is considering doing away with the Catch and Release Season on the Clearwater in order to bring high-roller type fish killers and their big bucks into Lewiston, Spaulding, Peck (?), Orofino etc?

What gives? Do we need to get on this?

Leland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Junkyard Spey

Clearwater Catch and Release Season

Leland, I've been hearing about this for a while but I can't verify this one way or another. The local fish and game commissioner, Mr. Alex Irby, e-mail-airby@konkolville.com is reportedly behind this. He will not talk to me.
Joe Norton at Twin River Anglers in Lewiston might know more about this. E-mail-tranglers@valley-internet.net or
208-746-8946
If you know anyone in Idaho that has solid info on this I would like to hear from them. 208-486-6098 or
e-mail-redshedflyshop@orofino-id.com
Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 PM

Will do Mike. This is serious stuff. We need to stop it now.

Leland.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:15 PM

Mike,

Here is what I've been told:

"This hasn't gotten to the formal proposal stage yet. My understading is that the Commissioner from Orofino is lobbying pretty hard to gain or determine if he has enough support to make a proposal. I'm simply following the lead of the owner of Twin River Anglers in Lewiston (a real activist) in trying
to snuff this out before it gets any further. The Commission meets July 9, 10 and 11."

Keep us posted Mike!
Leland.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:17 PM

Who to Contact

Let us know who to contact.

Leland,
Have you asked Joe to become a board sponsor? I will next time I stop in.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 06-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Junkyard Spey

Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners

Leland, I don't have any more info on this than I did yesterday. What you have posted is pretty much how I understand things to be. I tried to contact Joe Norton today but he is out untill tomorrow. I have tried repeatedly to get in contact with Alex Irby to have him clarify his position on this but he does not answer my inquiries. Below I've posted the names and contact info for all the Idaho Fish and Game Commission. Take care, MJC

Here is an excerpt from Joe Norton's website under 2003 fishing reports:
Loco authorities are still not searching for missing flyfishers on the Clearwater River. An unnamed(imaginary) state IDFG worker was quoted as saying; "We hate flyfishers anyway, and have been trying to undermine their Catch and Release Fall Steelhead Season on the Clearwater for the last few years, mainly by allowing bait and thus forcing all bank fishermen out of their waters, and turning a blind eye to the dramatic increase in bank versus boater confrontations. Hopefully someone will be seriously hurt and we can close things immediately, he/she/it said. It looks like we are making progress though, expect C&R to become a thing of the past soon, as our local commissioner is continually working behind the scenes to change the regulations to a consumptive season, irregardless of public opinion or the sociological implications of a diversified fishery." The season will likely begin in early August in the next few years, possibly as early as this coming fall."
OK, no one has drowned nor is presumed dead, although please use caution if you're out wading
I wish I was kidding about the behind the scenes back stabbing of the fall C&R steelhead season though. Your fall entertainment is at risk. Believe it.

Idaho Fish & Game Commissioners

Panhandle Region
Nancy Hadley
4325 Whiskeyjack Rd.
Sandpoint, Idaho 83864
(208) 263-2380 (h)

Clearwater Region
Alex Irby
2666 Preston Road
Orofino, Idaho 83544
(208) 476-4597 (w)
airby@konkolville.com

Southwest Region
John Watts
P.O. Box 2601
Boise, Idaho 83701
(208) 385-7070 ext. 103 (w)
(208) 385-9056 (fax)

Upper Snake Region
Roy Moulton
60 E. Wallace Avenue
Driggs, Idaho 83422
(208) 354-2345 (w)
moultonlaw@tetontel.com

Southeast Region
Marcus Gibbs
632 Highway 34
Grace, Idaho 83241
(208) 425-3385 (h)
marc@gibbsfarms.com

Magic Valley Region
Fred L. Wood III, M.D.
P.O. Box 1207
Burley, Idaho 83318
(208) 678-2370 (h)
(208) 677-3136 (fax)
flwiii007@hotmail.com

Salmon Region
John Burns
Box 264
Carmen, Idaho 83462
(208) 756-3645

Last edited by MJC; 06-16-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

What do you think, a letter writing campaign addressed to the Orofino Chamber of Commerce on how we plan to change our fishing destinations to Western Montana or the Thompson River region of B.C. with copies to the Commission?

mmm
Old 06-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Junkyard Spey

Howdy MMM, I do believe that Mr. Alex Irby, the commissiner in question is the President of the Orofino Chamber of Commerce.

I just received an e-mail reply from my last attempt to correspond with him. I don't entirely understand his answer as some of it sounds like double speak to me but it's posted below:

Mr. Irby, There seems to be a persistent rumor going around that you are pushing to end the catch and release season for steelhead on the Clearwater. If there is any validity to these rumors please be kind enough to clarify your position on this issue. Thank you for your time.
Mike Cummins
20652 Big Canyon Rd.
Peck, ID 83545
208-486-6098

Mr. Irby's answer:

The answer is no!!!! But I can certainly tell you that I get a lot of calls every year, asking me to explain why I advocate catch
and release. One of my standard answers, is, the earlier we can get the Steelhead back to the release place the earlier
they will return in the future. As a matter of fact, wouldn't it be nice to start getting this run back in July and Aug.
Thanks for asking,
Alex Irby

Last edited by MJC; 06-12-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:26 PM

My .02

Yes, there IS truth to the rumor. Two seasons ago this really started to flare up so I called the Boise office and spoke to the big man in charge. Explained how and why this would disrupt many dollars spent in their economy along with 'I will take my cash elsewhere'. Joe N. pushed this with several of his customers and we all called. IDFG did not like it but the push to open C&K on Sept 1 was dropped within a couple of days.

Try to get ahold of Ron Fudge through Joe Norton or through Silver Creek Outfitters (I doubt you will find him anytime soon since the Fork is calling his name. By Labor Day he should be on the Clearwater. ) Last fall he was in the process of putting together a petition to permanently cement the C&R season.

Also take the time to call Boise to speak to the boss while circumventing the stories coming from PorkBarrel USA.

William
Old 06-12-2003, 11:09 PM

#

Inland,
Can you give us the name and number of the boss in Boise. Public servants need to hear what customers think.

Also, how do you go about removing a commissioner if they are flaky?

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 06-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Junkyard Spey

The IDFG director's name is Steve Huffaker.

IDFG HEADQUARTERS
600 S. Walnut, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707
Phone: (208) 334-3700
Fax: (208) 334-2114 or (208) 334-2148

I don't know how to get a commissioner removed but according to the IDFG website commissioner Irby's term expeires
June 30, 2003.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:10 AM

Thanks Mike, for the life of me I could not remember his name.

To add a little- Two years ago Steve told me that Irby did indeed put forth a motion to get the rule changed by Sept. because of the huge fish numbers already to Idaho. He also said they were scheduled for a phone conference later that week- luckily the motion was denied. If we make a big enough stink, as the last time, I am pretty sure that this will go by the wayside.

Any information can be found on their website- it explains how the commission works, term lengths, etc.

William
Old 06-13-2003, 05:45 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I planned on going this year, and the sole reason I would travel there from the east coast when there are many other places to spend my dollars is to experience this legendary catch and release fishery. I am sure I'm not alone, in fact I know of hundreds or thousands of anglers in this community who would agree. The kill fishery push is likely aimed to befit the whims of the local meat fishermen who'd spend no more than a few gallons of gas per dead hen or buck in comparison. Those phone calls he's getting are local calls. Don't get me wrong, I am a staunch supporter of people who inhabit an area, but the reality is that a legendary river is worth much more to the people of a region, of a nation, of a planet than a fillet in the freezer - financially or otherwise.

I hope good sense prevails!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Recent Member

Clearwater Catch and Release

Nice job on this Leland. This should get things going in order to stop this perverse mindset some (one) of our F&G Commissioners seems to have and perhaps others in leadership positions have the same thought process as well. Let's stop it now before it gains any momentum.

I mailed my letter to all of the Commissioners yesterday urging them to maintain the C&R Season. I would urge all others to do the same or make calls, send e-mails, etc.

Softhackle
Old 06-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Junkyard Spey

Howdy, Here is an excerpt of an e-mail I received from Joe.

"Well, in a nutshell, Commissioner Irby has been pressured by businessmen in Orofino to do away with the C&R season on the Clearwater. The business people think they can make a whole lot more money by opening up the kill season earlier.

Of course the b run fish aren't really here until mid October anyway. But more than that, folks like myself think that if Orofino businessmen simply promote the catch & release season better,they would do fine. It just really amounts to greed, Orofino wants it all. And in doing so, they will say to hell with you and your clientele as well as mine, not to mention the guides that cater to fly fishing or catch and release.

I think some of it is coming from the guides that don't do the fly thing.

If it aint broke,don't fix it. And....it aint broke!"

In light of this post I think MMM had a good idea that maybe we should also write to the Orofino Chamber of Commerce so I've added the contact info.

Orofino Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 2346 Orofino, ID 83544
208-476-4335
orofinochamber@clearwater.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.