Newbie - Advice on Flying with Rods (USA) - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Recent Member

Question Newbie - Advice on Flying with Rods (USA)

Hi -

I'm new to the site. I'm flying to Virginia, and then on to Alaska this summer. I used to carry my rods onto the plane to avoid No Rod situation; however I have not flown any rods since September 11, 2001. Wondering what insight, experience you all can offer. Time between 2 trips is short so it makes shipping rods ahead pricey. I don't like them out of my sight.
The rods in question are 47" broken down. Airlines are Continental and Northwest if that helps....
Thanks for your time,
Mike P

(Aspiring Flyfisher)
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

WELCOME!

IMHO you should buy yourself a strong tube and check them, no way a 47" rod is going to be allowed on board. It's a good idea to go to a UPS store and get some of that large bubble wrap to provide padding inside the tube as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2003, 11:22 AM

I just flew with a 2pc 9' rod and a 2pc 7.5' rod a few weeks ago. Kept them both in their socks and put both in the tube for my 9weight - one rod on each side of the divider. Threw some foam in at both ends and taped the zipper to the rod tube - checked the rod tube and they were fine.

Note: the tube for my 9wt is of the heavy-duty, padded PVC and codura variety. Would not try this with a standard aluminum tube w/o dividers.

Good luck,

Dave
Old 06-11-2003, 11:28 AM

Welcome, a 47" long package would be tough to get through as a carry on now. In my limited recent flights the only thing I've seen aproaching that length that gets through is blueprints & drawings. Fly boxes won't make it through as a carry on either.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Pencil me in.....

I checked two rod tubes on a recent trip to Florida. They were x-rayed as I waited in line..The x-ray operators thoroughly hand inspected some golf clubs ahead of me. They did not hand inspect the contents of the rod tubes.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Yeah... I have one!

For my "infrequent" flying for fishing trips, I picked up a Cabela's 5-piece. At under $100, it is a neat rod, casts well, has caught some nice ones, and very portable. The rod case that came with mine (I bought one of the "cheap" combos for a few bucks more which comes with the case, and gave the reel etc. to a kid) goes through the airport and no one questions it. Check 'em out - I think they are on sale now at an even lower price..

BobK
Old 06-12-2003, 07:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
Fly United (with your fly gear)

For my two most recent trips, which involved fly fishing, I used a backpack (medium-size, padded back and belt) as carryon luggage, containing several multi-piece fly rods, reels, and my vest, fly boxes and all. The fly boxes didn't bother the inspectors, although I did have an awkward moment when my prefab first aid kit revealed a pair of scissors that I'd forgotten about. The inspector felt the points (blunt), thought a moment, and passed me on. By the way, airlines no longer ban nail files or nail clippers: rationality reasserts itself, by degrees.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:12 PM

Zz..

There is not one answer.

The decision as to whether you can carry on fishing rods is controlled by each airport's head of the TSA. You will not get the same answer at every airport. The best procedure, in my experience [San Francisco and Oakland, CA], is to visit your airport of departure prior to your Alaska trip, and talk to a responsible official of the TSA--I have found them quite pleasant. Write down names, dates, telephone numbers related to your conversations.

Next best would be to telephone a responsible official. Make notes.

Even if you get permission to carry on your rods from the above, be prepared to be challenged by the TSA guy/gal manning the inspection process. You might need some extra time while you cheerfully discuss your earlier conversations with the inspector's boss. Always be cheerful; tell the inspector how much you appreciate the difficult and important job he performs. This always brings an appreciative smile and a thank you.

Even with that, be prepared to check your rods into the baggage process.

There is no problem carrying on reels and lines.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Recent Member

Thanks, I'll let you know...

I'm sending Dad's rods ahead. I'll carry mine on in a 26" tube and have the case well labeled. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks,
Mike P
Old 06-24-2003, 08:08 AM

Please ---

I HOPE you are taking more than one rod, and a couple of reels and spare lines.... Nothing is worse than going to Alaska with only one rod and reel, and only one line ..... Any and all can get broken, ripped off the reel and lost, smashed, battered, and reels DO strip and burn out on LARGE fish!

BobK
Old 06-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Recent Member

Smile No Doubt - Take multiple rods!

You are correct of course! I'm taking only one rod on a mostly family excursion, then heading to AK with tat rod. Dad is sending his rod and our back-up rods ahead. I've also got local buddies to spot me if I'm totally abused by the fish...

On my first Kenai trip my cousin got to watch the rest of us fish for a couple hours. He figured we were only going out for 2 hours so no backup was needed. 3 cast, a Sockeye showed him different! It really is better to learn from the mistakes of others!!
Thanks and All the best,
Mike P
Old 07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Recent Member

cheap rod tube

The best rod tube is a homemade one from PVC pipes. You can get a length of 3 inch tube at Home Depot, buy a cap for one end and glue it in place put some padding in, and buy a cape with the screw cap in for the other end. Sorry don't know technical terms, not a plumber, but you will see it all there. Total cost around $12. I was given a hard time carrying on lures, scissors, and even nippers in Pittsburgh. So best to be safe and check all your gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.